Many centuries ago, Saint Augustine, a saint of my church, wrote that a people was a multitude defined by the common objects of their love, defined by the common objects of their love.
许多世纪以前,我的教会的圣徒圣奥古斯丁写道,一个民族是一个由他们共同热爱的目标所定义的群体,由他们共同热爱的目标所定义。
What are the common objects we as Americans love that define us as Americans?
那么我们美国人所热爱的、能将我们定义为美国人的共同目标是什么?
I think I know.
我想我们都知道。
Opportunity.
机会,
Security.
安全,
Liberty. Dignity. Respect. Honor.
自由,尊严,尊重,荣誉,
And, yes, the truth.
是的,还有真理。
Recent weeks and months have taught us a painful lesson.
最近几周和几个月,我们学到了惨痛的教训。
There is truth and there are lies.
其中有真相,也有谎言。
Lies told for power and for profit.
为了权力和利益而说谎。
And each of us has a duty and responsibility, as citizens, as Americans, and especially as leaders –
作为美国公民,尤其是作为领导者,我们每个人都有责任,也有义务。
leaders who have pledged to honor our Constitution and protect our nation — to defend the truth and defeat the lies. Look...
那些承诺遵守宪法领导者,只为保护我们国家,捍卫真理,击败谎言。听着...
I understand that many of my fellow Americans view the future with fear and trepidation.
我理解我的许多美国同胞对未来充满恐惧和害怕。
I understand they worry about their jobs,
我理解他们担心自己的工作。
I understand like my dad they lay in bed staring at night staring at the ceiling wondering "Can I keep my healthcare? Can I pay my mortgage?"
我理解他们,就像他们的父亲一样,会在晚上躺在床上盯着天花板想:“我还能继续享受医疗保健吗?我可以支付我的抵押贷款吗?”
Thinking about their families, about what comes next.
想着他们的家庭,想着接下来会发生什么。
I promise you I get it.
我向你们保证我都懂。
But the answer is not to turn inward, to retreat into competing factions, distrusting those who don’t look like look like you, or worship the way you do, or don’t get their news from the same sources you do.
但答案不是内斗,不是派系斗争,不要怀疑和你不同或不欣赏你做事方式的人,他们获得信息的途径也和你不同。
We must end this uncivil war that pits red against blue, rural versus urban, conservative versus liberal.
我们必须结束这场两党之间、农村与城市之间、保守派与自由派之间的无礼之战。
We can do this if we open our souls instead of hardening our hearts.
如果我们敞开灵魂,而不是心如坚石,我们就能够做到。
If we show a little tolerance and humility.
如果我们展现出一点容忍和谦卑,
If we’re willing to stand in the other person’s shoes as my mom would say just for a moment.
如果我们愿意,就像我的母亲常说的那样,站在别人的角度想想,哪怕就一瞬间。
Because here is the thing about life: There is no accounting for what fate will deal you.
因为人生就是这样。没人算得出命运将会如何待你。
There are some days when we need a hand.
在有些日子里你会需要帮助,
There are other days when we’re called on to lend one.
在另一些日子里,别人需要我们的帮助。
That is how we must be with one another.
就该是这样,这就是我们为彼此做的事情。
And, if we are this way, our country will be stronger, more prosperous, more ready for the future.
这样一来,我们的国家会更加强大、更加繁荣、更有准备迎接未来。
And we can still disagree.
而且我们仍然可以保留异议。
My fellow Americans, in the work ahead of us, we will need each other.
美国同胞们,我们需要彼此来完成我们面前的工作。
We will need all our strength to persevere through this dark winter.
我们需要所有的力量来度过这个黑暗的冬季。
We are entering what may well be the toughest and deadliest period of the virus.
我们进入了疫情最黑暗、最致命的时期。
We must set aside the politics and finally face this pandemic as one nation, one nation.
我们必须抛开政治,最终作为一个国家、一个民族来面对这场病毒大流行。