Let's not forget to mention the threat of wildlife, especially if you're out in the open desert or rainforest.
别忘了提到野生动物的威胁,尤其是当你在开阔的沙漠或雨林中时。
A slow and agonizing death is far more likely, and terrifying.
缓慢而痛苦的死亡更可能发生,也更可怕。
On July 7th, 2015, Jose Rey Escobedo went missing at about am in San Antonio, Texas.
2015年7月7日凌晨,何塞·雷伊·埃斯科贝多在德克萨斯州圣安东尼奥失踪。
Police received a call reporting a light blue car had been parked underneath the San Antonio River Bridge in Goliad County for several days.
警方接到报警称,一辆浅蓝色汽车在戈利亚德县圣安东尼奥河大桥下停了好几天。
After his glasses and wallet were identified, and camping or running away were largely ruled out,
找到他的眼镜和钱包后,基本排除了他去露营或逃跑的可能,
police started a widespread search of the river, where Escobedo would often swim alone.
警方开始对埃斯科贝多经常独自游泳的河流进行大范围搜索。
A few days later Game Wardens Kevin Fagg and William Zappe continued to search the San Antonio river by boat
几天后,一架直升机未能从上方找到他,
after a helicopter was unsuccessful in locating him from above.
狩猎管理员凯文·法格和威廉·扎佩继续乘船搜索圣安东尼奥河。
What they found was Escobedo's body lodged in quicksand, face down,
他们发现的是埃斯科贝多的尸体,面朝下,
just 350 yards upstream from the bridge where he parked his car.
卡在流沙中,距离他停车的桥上游350码。
While his true cause of death was never released to public reports,
虽然他的真正死因从未向公众公布,
the river was higher that day due to increased rain and it is likely that he was drowned after being trapped in quicksand.
但由于降雨增加,当天河水更高,他很可能是被困在流沙中淹死的。
Another interesting factor of Bonn's study was how intense the pressure is underneath the surface.
波恩案例的另一个有趣的因素是地表下的压力有多大。
He concluded that to pull a foot out of quicksand at a rate of one centimeter per second would require the same force needed to lift a medium-sized car.
他得出的结论是,以每秒1厘米的速度将一只脚从流沙中拉出,所需的力与抬起一辆中型汽车所需的力相同。
So unless you're a superhero or have a party of friends who aren't stuck,
所以,除非你是个超级英雄,或者有一群朋友没有被困住,
it's likely impossible you'd be able to free yourself by pulling yourself out.
否则你很可能无法把自己拉出来。
Those who get stuck for hours, or even a whole day will likely suffer permanent nerve damage, chest pain or potentially an entire limb
那些被困数小时甚至一整天的人可能会因为身体下半部的高压,
due to the high amounts of pressure to the body's lower half.
而遭受永久性的神经损伤、胸痛或可能是整个肢体的疼痛。
So what do you do if you find yourself knees, waist or chest deep in this unforgiving substance?
那么,如果你发现自己的膝盖、腰部或胸部深陷在这种难以应付的物质中,你该怎么办呢?
The first thing any expert will tell you is don't panic.
任何专家都会告诉你的第一件事就是不要惊慌。
Call for help if possible, but it's not a strong strategy to have a friend reach over and try to pull you out,
如果可能的话,打电话寻求帮助,但是让一个朋友伸出援手试图把你拉出来并不是一个好策略,
as you have a higher risk of pulling them in with you then of them actually being able to pull you out.
因为你把他们拉进来的风险比他们把你拉出来的风险要高。
Fast, panicked, and frantic movement will only expedite the sinking.
快速、恐慌和疯狂的移动只会加速下沉。
The next move you should make is to remove any heavy objects off your person, like backpacks and your shoes if you're able to.
下一步是,如果可以的话,你应该做的是把任何重物,如背包和鞋子从身上取下。
Shoes can be particularly problematic because shoes with flexible soles can act as suction cups,
鞋子可能是特别出现问题,因为鞋底灵活的鞋子可以充当吸盘,
and the suctioning effect can make freeing yourself even more difficult.
而吸吮的效果会让你更加难以解脱。
Once you've found your legs are stuck, it's important to move them slowly and deliberately as exhaustion is a major threat,
一旦你发现腿卡住了,慢慢地、有意识地移动它们很重要,
because the getting out process could take hours if you're in deep enough.
因为筋疲力尽是一个主要的威胁,如果你陷得够深的话,逃脱的过程可能需要几个小时。
Next, wiggle your legs to allow water and space to flow through and loosen the cement-like sand.
接下来,摆动双腿,让水和空间流过,然后摆脱水泥一样的沙子。
While it is not always possible, attempt to move backwards toward the more solid dirt, not forward to risk your head getting stuck.
虽然这并不总是可能的,尝试向后移动到更坚实的泥土处,而不是冒着向前卡住头的风险。
Then it's time to redistribute your weight, which is the key of the whole operation.
然后该重新分配体重了,这是整个过程的关键。
If you're ankle or knee deep, slowly sit down, or if you're waist deep, lean on your back.
如果你是脚踝或膝盖陷得很深,慢慢坐下,或是腰部陷得很深,用背靠住。
While it might sound that this tactic would sink you further, a pit of quicksand is like a swimming pool,
虽然这听起来可能会让你陷得更深,但流沙坑就像游泳池,
if you're standing, you'll sink but if you attempt to lie on your back and spread out, you'll float to the surface.
如果你站着,会沉下去,但如果你试图仰卧并展开身体,就会浮到表面。
Continue to wiggle and calmly work at getting one leg unstuck at a time.
继续扭动,冷静地一次松开一条腿。
Eventually, once one leg is free you have to just continue working to free your other one by wiggling and crawling back to the hard land.
一旦一条腿自由了,你就必须继续努力,扭动并爬回到尖硬的地表,拉出你的另一条腿。
You'll probably be exhausted and sunburned, but you will have survived a daunting task, which many a movie and cartoon character are unable to say.
你可能会精疲力尽,会晒伤,但你会在一项艰巨的任务中幸存下来,这是许多电影和卡通人物都无法说出的事情。
So there it is, and while dangerous because of other contributing factors, like terrain, heat or wildlife,
就这样,尽管流沙有其他危险因素,如地形、高温或野生动物,
quicksand can't actually kill you like most of us thought it could growing up watching old cartoons and westerns.
但它并不能像我们大多数人成长过程中看到的老卡通片和西部片中演的那样把你杀死。
You won't sink above you head, or get sucked into the earth.
流沙不会沉到你头顶,你也不会被吸进土里。
Although you will get really stuck, and it could take hours to free yourself,
虽然你真的被卡住,可能需要几个小时解脱,
and if you're by the ocean this could be deadly when high tide hits, so work deliberately.
如果你在海边,当海潮来袭时,这可能是致命的,所以要小心翼翼地努力。
Why do you think movies used to portray quicksand this way?
你认为电影为什么用这种方式描绘流沙?
And why isn't it nearly as popular in ones today?
为什么它在今天的电影里不那么流行呢?
And most importantly?
最重要的是?
Did this clear up any of your own irrational fears about quicksand?
这是否消除了你对流沙的非理性恐惧?
Or did it just your fears stronger?
还是你的恐惧更强烈?
Let us know in the comments!
请在评论中告诉我们!
Also, be sure to check out our other video How To Actually Survive Getting Shot!
另外,一定要看看我们的《跟我学跟我做》的其他视频!
Thanks for watching, and, as always, don't forget to like, share, and subscribe.
感谢收看,记得点赞、分享和订阅。
See you next time!
下次再见!