This is the IBM Personal Computer.
这是IBM个人计算机。
It was the most advanced computing machine ever created.
它是有史以来最先进的计算机。
However, this isn't a story about a computer,
然而,这不是一个关于计算机的故事,
but a story about when a computer stops working and the man who created a way to start it all over,
这个故事主要讲的是发明了一种方法来重新启动一台停止工作的计算机的人,
the man who invented Control-Alt-Delete.
这个人发明了Control加Alt加Delete的组合键。
Let's get into it.
我们开始吧。
Hi, I'm Dr. Dave Bradley, but you can call me Dr. Dave.
嗨,我是戴夫·布拉德利博士,但你可以叫我戴夫博士。
Back in 1980, I worked on the IBM Personal Computer.
早在1980年,我在IBM个人计算机上工作。
My particular job on the IBM PC was writing the basic input output system.
我的特殊工作是在IBM个人计算机编写基本的输入输出系统。
Even with an elite team of engineers and designers, not everything goes smoothly when you're building a computer.
即使有一支由工程师和设计师组成的精英团队,在你建造电脑的时候,也不是事事顺利。
We had programs that ran most of the time,
我们的程序大部分时间都在运行,
but when they failed, the only way to reset the system was turn the power off, wait a while, turn the power back on.
但是当程序失败时,重启系统的唯一方法就是关闭电源,稍等片刻,再打开电源。
And it would go through a very long self test.
它会经历一个很长的自我测试。
But the system might die every five to 10 minutes.
但是这个系统可能每5到10分钟就死掉一次。
What he needed was a way to shortcut the restart process.
他需要的是一种加快重启过程的方法。
One of the things we discussed was putting a reset button on it.
我们讨论过的一件事就是在上面加一个重启按钮。
But if you put it on the system board, there was a chance that you could hit it by mistake and all your data gets lost.
但如果你把它放在主板上,你可能会误击它,所有的数据都会丢失。
So what we did was came up with a three key sequence that would reset the computer and couldn't hit by mistake.
所以我们所做的就是想出一个可以重启电脑的三键组合序列,而不会误击。
A single Control key, a single Alt key, and then all the way over at the right hand side, a single Delete key.
一个Control键,一个Alt键,然后一直到右手边,一个删除键。
When you hit that Control - Alt - Delete, you're deleting everything that you're working on right now and starting there.
当你点击Control加Alt加Delete时,你正在删除你现在正在处理的所有内容,并重新开始。
I was also able to skip over many of the tests.
我也能跳过许多测试流程。
So instead of taking a minute or two, it was 10 or 15 seconds.
所以不用花一两分钟,而是10到15秒。
But it wasn't a big deal at the time.
但当时没什么大不了的。
It was like number 17 on the list of a hundred different things I had to fix.
这就像是我要解决的100个不同问题中的第17个问题。
Even though it was built only as a development tool, programmers began incorporating the feature into their applications.
尽管这个组合键只是作为一种开发工具来构建的,但是程序员们开始将它融入到他们的应用程序中。
From there, it was released into the wild, but didn't immediately reach pop culture status.
从那时,它被放归野外,但并没有立即达到流行文化的地位。
For years, it was no big deal.
多年来,它并没有引起很大关注。
And then at the 20th anniversary of the IBM PC, that's when Control - Alt - Delete became sort of a cultural icon.
在IBM PC诞生20周年之际,Control加Alt加Delete成了某种文化图标。
(intense shrieking) It was the simplest and easiest way to fix your problem.
这是解决问题最简单、最便捷的方法。
Hit Control - Alt - Delete, start all over.
按Control加Alt加Delete,从头开始。
Despite all this, Dr. Dave doesn't think much of this contribution to computing history.
尽管如此,戴夫博士并不认为这对计算机历史做出了很多贡献。
I did lots of things with IBM, but all everybody remembers is Control - Alt - Delete.
我在IBM做了很多事情,但每个人记住的都是Control加Alt加Delete。
But I'll take that.
我欣然接受。
The fame of Control - Alt - Delete means that I worked on a very successful product
Control加Alt加Delete的风生水起意味着我开发了一款非常成功的产品,
and I'm very proud of having been able to do that.
我为能够做到这一点而感到非常自豪。