"Because you delight in sacrifice."
“因为你乐意作出牺牲。”
"Sacrifice! What do I sacrifice?
“牺牲!我牺牲了什么啦?
Famine for food, expectation for content.
牺牲饥饿而得到食品,牺牲期待而得到满足。
To be privileged to put my arms round what I value -- to press my lips to what I love -- to repose on what I trust: is that to make a sacrifice?
享受特权搂抱我珍重的人——亲吻我热爱的人——寄希望于我信赖的人。那能叫牺牲吗?
If so, then certainly I delight in sacrifice."
如果说这是牺牲,那当然乐于作出牺牲了。”
"And to bear with my infirmities, Jane: to overlook my deficiencies."
“还要忍受我的体弱,简,无视我的缺陷。”
"Which are none, sir, to me.
“我毫不在乎,先生。
I love you better now, when I can really be useful to you, than I did in your state of proud independence,
现在我确实对你有所帮助了,所以比起当初你能自豪地独立自主,
when you disdained every part but that of the giver and protector."
除了施主与保护人,把什么都不放在眼里时,要更爱你了。”
"Hitherto I have hated to be helped -- to be led: henceforth, I feel I shall hate it no more.
“我向来讨厌要人帮助——要人领着,但从今起我觉得我不再讨厌了。
I did not like to put my hand into a hireling's, but it is pleasant to feel it circled by Jane's little fingers.
我不喜欢把手放在雇工的手里,但让简的小小的指头挽着,却很愉快。
I preferred utter loneliness to the constant attendance of servants; but Jane's soft ministry will be a perpetual joy.
我不喜欢佣人不停地服侍我,而喜欢绝对孤独。但是简温柔体贴的照应却永远是一种享受。
Jane suits me: do I suit her?"
简适合我,而我适合她吗?”
"To the finest fibre of my nature, sir."
“你与我的天性丝丝入扣。”
"The case being so, we have nothing in the world to wait for: we must be married instantly."
“既然如此,就根本没有什么好等的了,我们得马上结婚。”
He looked and spoke with eagerness: his old impetuosity was rising.
他的神态和说话都很急切,他焦躁的老脾气又发作了。
"We must become one flesh without any delay, Jane:
“我们必须毫不迟疑地化为一体了,简。
there is but the licence to get -- then we marry."
只剩下把证书拿到手——随后我们就结婚——”