I think the knowledge-based purist, if you want to have smart people work for you, the smart people need to be managed by culture, not by rules and the laws.
我认为以知识为基础的纯粹主义者,如果你想让聪明的人为你工作,聪明的人需要由文化来管理,而不是由规则和法律来管理。
So in our company, we spent most of the time about the culture.
所以在我们公司,我们花了很多时间在文化上。
And the base of the culture is the trust. So this is what we believe.
而文化的基础是信任。这就是我们所相信的。
China has changed. I think back in 1995 when you were in Seattle, 1999.
中国已经改变了。我记得是在1995年,1999年,你在西雅图。
How has it changed between 1999 when you started Alibaba and today in 2017?
从1999年您创办阿里巴巴到2017年,阿里巴巴有什么变化?
Well, when I went back to China in 1995 with an idea of internet was very strange, China was not connected to the internet.
当我1995年回到中国的时候,我对互联网有了一个很奇怪的想法,当时中国还没有通互联网。
So I tried to talk a lot of my friends about what is internet.
所以我试着和我的朋友们谈论什么是互联网。
Nobody say, ah this thing ever work. This thing never exist.
没人觉得,啊,这玩意能用。这东西根本不存在。
Because it's true, because nobody -- people even say Jack is a liar because he's trying to steal money from people, telling us there is an internet.
是真的,因为没有人——人们甚至说马云是个骗子,因为他想偷别人的钱,才告诉我们有互联网。
So when I go to the China Company Registration Office, I said I want to register company called Hounds of Hope Internet Company.
所以当我去中国公司注册办公室的时候,我说我想注册一个叫Hounds of Hope互联网公司。
The guy looked at me and say this is the English dictionary.
那个人看着我说,这是英文字典。
Tell me, there is no word called the internet.
他告诉我,字典里没有“互联网”这个词。
Why you want to register company called the internet.
你为什么要注册一个叫互联网的公司。
So I cannot register company name.
所以我无法注册公司名称。
But in 1995, late August, China was connected to the internet.
但在1995年8月下旬,中国接入了互联网。
I was number seven person connected to the China internet.
我是第7个连接到中国互联网的人。
In order to prove I was not lying, I invited my friend who was a TV man.
为了证明我没有撒谎,我邀请了我的朋友,他在电视台工作。
Take the TV camera. They all stay in my home and we -- they just try to take the picture.
拿着电视摄像机。他们都待在我家,我们——他们想拍照。
I dial from to Shanghai, Shanghai to the America to connect to the internet.
我从上海拨号,从上海拨到美国去连接互联网。
It took us three hours and a half to download the first page.
加载第一页花了我们三个半小时。
At that time, there is new Netscape called the mosaic.
当时,有一个新的网景公司叫做mosaic。
So I have to make like a hundred stories to keep my journalist friends to stay and wait because to prove that I am not telling a lie.
所以我必须编一百个故事来让我的记者朋友们留下来等待,为了证明我没有说谎。
So, how big is Alibaba today?
那么,阿里巴巴现在有多大?
Today, from 1999, we have 18 founders, to now we have close to 60,000 people.
从1999年开始,我们有18位创始人,现在我们有近6万名员工。
Our sales, called GMV, last year is over $550 billion. And it just the beginning.
我们的销售额,叫做GMV(交易总额),去年超过5500亿美元。而这仅仅是个开始。
We will probably go across $1 trillion in three years.
我们可能会在三年内突破1万亿美元。
In three years, so that is 2020.
三年后,也就是2020年。
That is -- No, I would say in three years, yeah, 2020, that is the 20 year anniversary of Alibaba.
那是——不,我会说三年后,对,2020年,那是阿里巴巴成立20周年。
This thing does not happen in 18 days or 20 days.
这件事不会在18天或20天内发生。
When we started, year 2003, when I launched the Taobao, it was funny.
当我们开始的时候,2003年,当我推出淘宝的时候,很有趣。
We got seven founders for Taobao. I said, everybody go home.
淘宝有7位创始人。我说,大家都回家吧。
Pick up four -- looking for four things that list on the website, so we see who will come to buy, how much things we can sell.
选四件——选四样能在网上卖的东西,这样我们就能知道谁会来买,我们能卖多少东西。
So we went home. We cannot find, everybody cannot find four things in the home we can sell because we're too poor.
于是我们就回家了。我们没法,每个人都没法在家里找到四样可以卖的东西,因为我们太穷了。
So we gather 21 products. We list it on the website.
最后我们收集了21样产品。我们把它列在网站上。
We waited for three days. Nobody comes to buy.
我们等了三天。没有人来买。
And then the next week, we got, we start to buy and sell ourselves.
然后下个星期,我们开始自己买卖。
For the first week, all the sales was among ourselves.
第一个星期,所有的销售都是我们自己弄的。
And then another week later, somebody start to test himself.
又过了一周,有人开始了测试。
For almost 30 days, everything people sell, we all buy them.
在将近30天的时间里,不管人们卖什么,我们就买什么。
So we have a whole house of rubbish we bought online.
所以我们在网上买了一大堆垃圾。
Trying to make sure that so those guys who were able to sell, oh wow, this thing really can sell things.
为了让那些卖东西的人知道,哦,这个东西真的可以卖东西。
Then more people started to come to sell and then we served better and it comes.
然后越来越多的人开始来卖东西,然后我们的服务更好了,它就来了。
So from there to now, $550 billion.
从那时到现在的5500亿美元交易总额。
Market cap is what?
市值是多少?
Market cap like 350 billion, yeah, billion something, yeah.
市值3500亿美元,对,亿美元左右。