手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

电子书潮流下如日中天的传统书店(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

I chose the name "The Last Bookstore" because at the time Porter's was going out of business,

我之所以用“最后一家书店”这个名字,是因为当时波特已经开始倒闭了,

And a lot of other little bookstores were going out of business and it was just in the news a lot.

其他比较小的书店也都没生意了,新闻上也经常是书店倒闭的消息。

There's press about books going away and, you know, ebooks taking over.

有媒体报道说纸质书就要消失了,我们将迎来电子书的时代。

But people just don't like to lose something that they've loved for centuries.

但人们是不会轻易放弃他们已经爱了几个世纪的东西的。

I think that the digital age has made print books more popular in a weird way.

我觉得,数字时代反而以一种奇怪的方式让纸质书变得更加流行了。

It just made everyone come out of the woodwork who really wants to see books survived.

因为它让那些由衷地想要看到纸质书留存下来的人纷纷浮出水面了。

And it's created quite a bit of loyalty I think among people who really love books.

而且,我觉得电子书的趋势还让真正热爱纸质书的人变得对纸质书更加忠诚了。

Some people prefer physical tactile objects and some people prefer clicking a button and having something instantaneously.

有些人喜欢看得见摸得着的实物,而有些人就喜欢点击一个按钮,瞬间就能拥有一切的感觉。

There's room for both I think, I hope.

我觉得这个世界是能同时容下这两种人的,我希望是这样。

"All right, I'm gonna put my shoes on.

“好了,我要穿鞋了。

Let's do it."

你先下去一下哈。”

My name is Josh Spencer.

我叫乔什·斯宾塞。

I own the last bookstore.

我是“最后一家书店”的老板。

And I'm a father, and a husband, and a paraplegic.

我也是一名父亲,一名丈夫和一个截瘫人士。

Before my injury, I was really active, you know, I sufed and lifted weights and played volleyball and hiked and, you know, I was very outdoorsy.

在我受伤之前,我是非常活跃的一个人,游泳,举重,打排球,徒步旅行,我非常喜欢户外活动。

I was riding a moped and got hit by a car and...

当时我正骑着一辆轻便摩托车,然后就被一辆私家车给撞了……

I was in the hospital for like three months.

我住了大概三个月的院吧。

They did spinal surgery so we can't really move after that,

他们给我做了脊椎手术,做完之后我就动不了了。

And I had broken pelvis and collapsed lung and broken shoulder and skin ripped off my, my whole hand.

我的骨盆骨折了,肺也萎陷了,肩膀也骨折了,整个手臂的皮都掉了。

So, yeah, there was definitely years of struggling with that and crying that out,

所以,没错,我确实挣扎了好几年,也抱怨了好几年,

And trying to figure out how can I still be a man when I'm half paralyzed

我就想,我都半瘫痪了,我还怎么像个男人一样活着?

And how can I succeed in this world and how can I have a family if I want that.

我还怎么在这世界上有所成就,我还怎么成家,如果我想的话?

I just coming to terms with all these things.

我还是接受了这一切的变故。

It took quite a few years.

调整了好几年才调整过来。

I went through depression.

我还抑郁了一段时间。

Just everything was a challenge. Everything is difficult.

就觉得所有的事情都变成了挑战,都是那么的艰难。

You know, I had to, I had to really learn how to readjust my mind and change my perception,

我必须学着去调整我的心态,改变我的观念,

so that things that would seem difficult wasn't necessarily harder, it's just different so...

意识到那些看似困难的事情不一定就真的很困难,只不过是和从前不一样了而已,所以……

It took a decade I guess for me to, to readjust.

我差不多花了十年的时间才重新适应下来。

"Get the hive."

“你在放蜂蜜么?”

3

We have one daughter, named Eden.

我们有一个女儿,叫伊登。

She's a handful...

她还挺让人头疼的...

And she's just super smart.

她太聪明了。

She's already super creative.

现在就已经很有创造力了。

"Dada, I'm making a mess, dada."

“爸爸,我弄得到处都是了耶,爸爸。”

"You're making a mess.

“你真的弄得到处都是了耶。

So I think she's just showing off how much she can eat."

我猜她是想跟我炫耀她有多能吃。”

She loves reading books.

她也喜欢看书。

You know, she's still at the board book, pop-up book stage,

不过她现在还停留在看硬页书,立体书的阶段,

But Heidi reads to her every night.

但海蒂每晚都会读书哄她睡觉。

Hopefully, we can instill a love for reading in her as she gets older.

等她再长大一点,我们兴许也能培养培养她的阅读兴趣。

I'm a bookseller, people expect our child to be more literate.

我是个卖书的,大家自然就会期望我们的孩子学识丰富一点。

I don't really care what other people think,

别人怎么想关我屁事,

so I'm not gonna try to make her a bookworm if she doesn't want to be.

如果她不想当个书虫,我是不会逼她当个书虫的。

At the warehouse, we sort everything that comes in through big buys that we do or donations.

我们会在仓库里把我们大批买过来或是别人捐给我们的书分拣出来。

People selling books to the store, we get a lot of inventory that way.

大家会卖书给书店,我们好多好多书都是这么得来的。

People's personal libraries and when they pass away or when they move, when they're just downsizing for whatever reason.

有些朋友有私人图书馆,他们过世了或者要搬家了,又或是因为别的什么原因,要出一些书。

It seems like people are always selling books and always donating books, so it keeps us pretty busy.

好像经常都有人卖书,捐书,所以,我们经常都很忙。

L.A. Earthquake Source Book, to be useful one day.

《洛杉矶地震原始资料》,(这本书)将来肯定能派上用场。

So right now, I'm sorting books into various categories.

我现在就在给书分类。

Things that would go directly to the store.

有些是要直接送到店里的。

Things that were just gonna box up.

有些是要装箱放进库房的。

But when I first started, there wasn't any technology, you know, you didn't have smartphones.

我刚开始干这个的时候都还没什么技术帮忙,没有智能手机。

There wasn't databases you could download with information.

没有可以下载信息的数据库。

So I had to know all this stuff kind of just by feeling my heart.

我就只能靠脑子来记住所有这些分类。

I've been doing this for so long like I can tell in a split second if something's too damaged for anybody to buy.

但我干这事儿已经干了太久了,如今我只要瞄上那么一眼,我就能知道某本书是不是已经旧得卖不出去了。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
loyalty ['lɔiəlti]

想一想再看

n. 忠诚,忠心

联想记忆
warehouse ['wɛəhaus]

想一想再看

n. 仓库
vt. 存入仓库

 
surgery ['sə:dʒəri]

想一想再看

n. 外科,外科手术,诊所

 
earthquake ['ə:θkweik]

想一想再看

n. 地震

 
shoulder ['ʃəuldə]

想一想再看

n. 肩膀,肩部
v. 扛,肩负,承担,(用肩

 
decade ['dekeid]

想一想再看

n. 十年

联想记忆
perception [pə'sepʃən]

想一想再看

n. 感知,认识,观念

 
instill [in'stil]

想一想再看

v. 滴注,逐渐灌输(尤指思想或情感)

联想记忆
challenge ['tʃælindʒ]

想一想再看

n. 挑战
v. 向 ... 挑战

 
literate ['litərit]

想一想再看

n. 受过教育的人,识字的人 adj. 精通文学的,有学

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。