Hey, it's Trace from dnews, and I don't know if you've heard of biomimicry, but it's essentially when science copies nature.
嗨,我是dnews的Trace,不知道大家有没有听说过“仿生学”这个词,它的主要含义就是科学模仿自然的概念。
And it's all the rage right now, mainly because I don't know if you've heard this, but nature's got it going on.
这个概念最近特别火爆,主要是因为,不知道你们有没有听过,不过,自然界总得让自己延续下去吧。
So here's what I'm talking about.
下面这些都是仿生学这一概念的应用。
These are flowers.
这是几朵花。
And scientists have finally learned how they use raindrops to spread their seeds.
如今,科学家们终于弄清楚它们是怎么利用雨滴传播种子的了。
What they do is they have these things called splash cups.
它们身上有这种所谓的“飞溅杯”。
I didn't come up with the name, I didn't invent it.
这个名字可不是我想出来的,也不是我编的。
But what they do is they redirect raindrops to carry seeds away from the plant.
这个造型能改变雨滴的运动方向,让它们把种子从植物身上带走。
These splash cups are so good that when a raindrop hits it at the top speed,
这些飞溅杯特别管用,当雨滴以最大速度,
for a raindrop which is eighteen miles an hour,
也即以18英里(约29千米)/小时的速度滴落到花瓣上时,
the splash cup redirects it at 90 miles an hour,
飞溅杯就会让其以90英里(约145千米)/小时的速度回弹回去,
which is so fast, that's faster than highway speeds, it's faster than a cheetah,
高速公路上行驶的车辆,猎豹都没有它们的回弹速度快,
that would be like if a raindrop hit you in the forehead, and then flew 50 or 60 feet away.
这就好比一颗雨滴打在你的额头上,结果给弹到了五六十英尺(十几二十米)开外的地方。
Evolution man.
这就是进化啊兄弟。
It's crazy.
太不可思议了吧。
The flowers do this because they evolved curved petals that throw all the raindrops in the same direction.
这些花之所以能做到这一点,是因为它们进化出了弯曲的花瓣,能够将所有的雨滴朝同一个方向抛出。
Now that scientists know how they do this,
既然科学家已经知道那些花是怎么做到这一点的了,
they can use that evolutionary invention in human technologies, like inkjet printers, or, you know, new painting techniques,
那他们就可以在人类技术中应用这种进化的发明了,比如喷墨打印机啊,又或者,你懂的,新的绘画技术啊,
or even stuff like gathering energy from falling rain, or blood spatter at a crime scene.
又或者是从降雨中收集能量,或者分析犯罪现场飞溅的血迹之类的。
Nature has inspired several new designs lately.
最近,大自然又激发了几个新的设计灵感。
Including porcupine quills inspiring new vaccination needles.
包括能给疫苗注射针头研发带来灵感的豪猪毛刺。
The logic there is those quills can enter the skin really really easily,
这里面的逻辑就是它们身上的那些毛刺能够轻而易举地刺进皮肤,
and now that we figured out how, we think we can use that to make needles more painless.
既然现在我们已经知道它们是怎么做到的,那我们是不是就能利用这一原理让(打)针不那么痛了呢?
Velcro that comes from those little things that get stuck to your pants when you walk through a field and you can't get them off you.
魔术贴的灵感则来源于大家从田野里走过时裤子上经常会粘上苍耳,怎么搞都搞不下来的经历。
And then there's geckos sticky feet that lets them walk on walls and ceilings.
还有壁虎那吸附能力非常好,能保证它们在墙上,天花板上自由行走的四肢。
We're using that to invent new adhesives.
我们正在借鉴它们的这一特性发明新的粘合剂。
And then there's a robot that's learned to walk like a snail.
还有能像蜗牛一样走路的机器人。
And it's kind of gross and sticky, but, you know, it gets there and, you know.
听着有点恶心,有点黏糊糊的哈,但,你懂的,黑猫白猫,能捉老鼠的就是好猫对吧。
So biomimicry is everywhere these days.
如今,仿生学的应用已经无处不在了。
Insects are a huge inspiration for biomimicry.
昆虫就是巨大的仿生学灵感来源。
Everything from how their wings worked, how they walk around.
无论是它们的翅膀的工作原理,还是它们行走的方式,
Even how their eyes work.
甚至是它们眼睛的原理,都是仿生学的灵感来源。
However, it also inspires things outside of Robotics.
不过,昆虫也是机器人之外的发明的灵感来源。
Like architecture.
就比如建筑。
The Namib beetle can gather water from fog in a desert.
纳米布(沙漠)甲虫能够从沙漠的雾气中收集水分。
Now this is kind of a cool idea.
这就很帅了。
So when scientists figured out how this worked, architects started designing buildings that could gather water from the air as well.
所以,科学家们弄清楚了它们是怎么收集水分之后,建筑师们就开始设计能从空气中收集水分的建筑了。
Biomimicry is nothing new.
仿生学并不是什么新鲜的概念。
We were trying to copy birds in flight long before the Wright brothers figured stuff out.
莱特兄弟搞清楚如何发明飞机之前,人类早就在学着模仿鸟类飞行了。
But when are we going to see it more in our everyday lives, that's what I want to know.
问题是,我们什么时候才能在我们的日常生活中更多地看到仿生学的应用实例,这才是我比较关心的问题。
When are we going to design buildings that look like they were growing.
我们什么时候才能设计出看起来像是还在长大的建筑?
When are we going to make houses that look like shells and solar panels and wind farms that look like big trees.
什么时候才能造出长得像贝壳或太阳能电池板的房子,造出看起来像大树的风力发电场?
I mean, some of this stuff has already started, but I want to see more of it.
我想说的是,有些东西已经开始发明了,但我还想看到更多这类发明。
You have any cool biomimicry ideas?
你有什么很酷的仿生学点子吗?
Make sure that you throw them down in the comments so that we can all see them.
有的话一定要把它们放在评论里,让我们大家都看到噢。
And don't forget to subscribe to dnews, so that you can get all three of our videos all day.
还有,别忘了订阅dnews,这样你就可以一天观看三个视频了。
The rest of the day we're going to talk about how you could be living in a computer simulation right now, and not even know it.
接下来我们还会跟大家分享如何在你毫无察觉的情况下让你生活在一个计算机模拟的环境里。
And also how ladies are underrepresented in the sciences.
还有女性在科学界没有充分崭露头角的问题。
So don't miss it, I'm Trace, thanks for watching, catch you later.
大家可别错过了噢,我是Trace,感谢大家的收看,我们一会儿见。