"Oct. 4th, rooms 8s., breakfast 2s. 6d., cocktail 1s., lunch 2s. 6d., glass sherry, 8d. I see nothing in that."
"'10月4日,房间8先令,早饭2先令6便士,鸡尾酒1先令,午饭2先令6便士,葡萄酒8便士。'我看不出这说明什么问题。"
"Very likely not. It is most important, all the same.
"你可能看不出什么来,但它还是十分重要的。
As to the note, it is important also, or at least the initials are, so I congratulate you again."
至于便条,也很重要。或者说,至少这些起首字母的签字是很重要的,所以我再次向你祝贺。"
"I've wasted time enough," said Lestrade, rising.
"我时间浪费得够多了,"雷斯垂德说着站了起来。
"I believe in hard work and not in sitting by the fire spinning fine theories.
"我相信艰苦的工作,不相信坐在壁炉边编造出色的理论。
Good-day, Mr. Holmes, and we shall see which gets to the bottom of the matter first."
再见,福尔摩斯先生,让我们瞧瞧是谁先把事情弄个水落石出。"
He gathered up the garments, thrust them into the bag, and made for the door.
他收拾起衣服,把它们塞进提包,向门口走去。
"Just one hint to you, Lestrade," drawled Holmes before his rival vanished;
"给你一点暗示,雷斯垂德,"在他的对手走出去之前,福尔摩斯懒洋洋地说。
"I will tell you the true solution of the matter. Lady St. Simon is a myth.
"我可以把这件事的真正答案告诉你。圣西蒙夫人是位神话式的人物。
There is not, and there never has been, any such person."
现在没有,过去向来也没有过这样一个人。"
Lestrade looked sadly at my companion.
雷斯垂德阴郁地看了我的同伴一眼,
Then he turned to me, tapped his forehead three times, shook his head solemnly, and hurried away.
接着回过头来瞧瞧我,轻轻地在前额上拍了三下,一本正经地摇了摇头,就急急忙忙地走了。
He had hardly shut the door behind him when Holmes rose to put on his overcoat.
他刚一关上身后的房门,福尔摩斯就站了起来,穿上外衣。
"There is something in what the fellow says about outdoor work," he remarked,
"这家伙说的户外工作有点道理,"他说,
"so I think, Watson, that I must leave you to your papers for a little."
"所以我想,华生,我得把你撇下一会儿。你看报吧。"