Lord St. Simon shrugged his shoulders and raised his eyebrows.
圣西蒙勋爵耸了耸肩,眉毛一扬。
"We have been on a friendly footing for some years... I may say on a very friendly footing.
"我们已有多年交情了,可以说是非常友好的关系。
She used to be at the Allegro. I have not treated her ungenerously,
她过去常在阿利格罗。我对待她并不吝啬,
and she had no just cause of complaint against me, but you know what women are, Mr. Holmes.
她对我也没有什么可抱怨的,但是,福尔摩斯先生,你知道女人是怎么一回事。
Flora was a dear little thing, but exceedingly hot-headed and devotedly attached to me.
弗洛拉是个可爱的小东西,但是个非常急性子的人,而且热切地依恋着我。
She wrote me dreadful letters when she heard that I was about to be married,
当她听说我要结婚的时候,给我写过几封可怕的信,
and, to tell the truth, the reason why I had the marriage celebrated so quietly
老实说,我之所以这样悄悄地举行婚礼,原因就是,
was that I feared lest there might be a scandal in the church.
我怕万一在教堂里出丑。
She came to Mr. Doran's door just after we returned, and she endeavoured to push her way in,
她刚好在我们回来的时候来到多兰先生的门前,极力想闯进去,
uttering very abusive expressions towards my wife, and even threatening her,
公然用非常难听的话辱骂我的妻子,甚至还威胁她,
but I had foreseen the possibility of something of the sort,
但是我预先估计到可能会发生这类事情,
and I had two police fellows there in private clothes, who soon pushed her out again.
在那里安排了两名便衣警察,他们很快就把她重新赶出门去。
She was quiet when she saw that there was no good in making a row."
当她明白吵架决不会有什么好结果时,就安静了下来。"