I saw his solemn eye melt with sudden fire, and flicker with resistless emotion.
看见他严肃的目光,已被突如其来的火花所融化,闪烁着难以克制的激情,因此他的脸烧得通红。
Flushed and kindled thus, he looked nearly as beautiful for a man as she for a woman.
作为一个男子,他看上去几乎象她作为一个女人那么漂亮。
His chest heaved once, as if his large heart, weary of despotic constriction,
他的胸部一度起伏着,仿佛那颗巨大的心对专横的约束感到厌倦,
had expanded, despite the will, and made a vigorous bound for the attainment of liberty.
已经违背意志扩展起来,强劲有力地跳动了一下,希望获得自由。
But he curbed it, I think, as a resolute rider would curb a rearing steed.
但他把它控制住了,我想就像一位坚定的骑手勒住了腾起的马一样。
He responded neither by word nor movement to the gentle advances made him.
对她那种饱含温情的友好表示,他既没用语言也没通过动作来回答。
"Papa says you never come to see us now," continued Miss Oliver, looking up.
“爸爸说你现在从不来看我们了,”奥利弗小姐抬起头来继续说。
"You are quite a stranger at Vale Hall.
“你简直成了溪谷庄园的陌生人了。
He is alone this evening, and not very well: will you return with me and visit him?"
今天晚上他只有一个人,而且不大舒服。你愿意同我一起回去看看他吗?”
"It is not a seasonable hour to intrude on Mr. Oliver," answered St. John.
“现在这个时候去打扰奥利弗先生是不合时宜的,”圣·约翰回答。
"Not a seasonable hour! But I declare it is.
“不会不合时宜的!但我宣布现在恰是时候,
It is just the hour when papa most wants company: when the works are closed and he has no business to occupy him.
这是爸爸最需要有人陪伴的时刻。工厂一关,他便没事可干了。
Now, Mr. Rivers, do come. Why are you so very shy, and so very sombre?"
好吧,里弗斯先生,你可—定得来。你干嘛这么怕羞,这么忧郁?”
She filled up the hiatus his silence left by a reply of her own.
她自己作了回答,填补了他的沉默所留下的空隙。
"I forgot!" she exclaimed, shaking her beautiful curled head, as if shocked at herself.
“我倒忘了,”她大叫起来,摇着美丽的、头发卷曲的脑袋,仿佛对自己感到震惊。
"I am so giddy and thoughtless! Do excuse me.
“我实在是昏头昏脑,太粗心大意了!请原谅我。
It had slipped my memory that you have good reasons to be indisposed for joining in my chatter.
我忘了你有充分的理由不愿意加入我的谈话。
Diana and Mary have left you, and Moor House is shut up, and you are so lonely.
戴安娜和玛丽离开了你,摩尔之家被关上了,你太孤独了。
I am sure I pity you. Do come and see papa."
我肯定我同情你。一定要来看爸爸。”