What did St. John Rivers think of this earthly angel?
圣·约翰·里弗斯对这位人间天使有什么想法呢?
I naturally asked myself that question as I saw him turn to her and look at her;
我看见他向她转过脸去并瞧着她时,自然而然地提出了这个问题,
and, as naturally, I sought the answer to the inquiry in his countenance.
我也一样自然地从他的面部表情上寻找这个问题的答案。
He had already withdrawn his eye from the Peri, and was looking at a humble tuft of daisies which grew by the wicket.
他已把目光从这位仙女身上移开,正瞧着长在门边的一簇不起眼的雏菊。
"A lovely evening, but late for you to be out alone," he said, as he crushed the snowy heads of the closed flowers with his foot.
“是个可爱的傍晚,不过你一个人外出就有些太晚了,”他一面说,一面用脚把没有开的雪白的花头踩烂了。
"Oh, I only came home from S----" (she mentioned the name of a large town some twenty miles distant) "this afternoon.
“呵,我下午刚从S市回来(她提了一下相距大约二十英里的一个城市)。
Papa told me you had opened your school, and that the new mistress was come;
爸爸告诉我你己经开办了一所学校,新的女教师已经来了,
and so I put on my bonnet after tea, and ran up the valley to see her: this is she?" pointing to me.
所以我用完茶后戴上草帽跑到山谷来看她了。就是她吗?”她指着我。
"It is," said St. John.
“是的,”圣·约翰说。
"Do you think you shall like Morton?" she asked of me, with a direct and naive simplicity of tone and manner, pleasing, if child-like.
“你觉得会喜欢莫尔顿吗?”她问我,语调和举止里带着一种直率而幼稚的单纯,虽然有些孩子气,但讨人喜欢。
"I hope I shall. I have many inducements to do so."
“我希望我会这样。我很想这么做。”
"Did you find your scholars as attentive as you expected?"
“你发现学生像你预料的那么专心么?”
"Quite."
“十分专心。”
"Do you like your house?"
“你喜欢你的房子吗?”
"Very much."
“很喜欢。”
"Have I furnished it nicely?"
“我布置得好吗?”
"Very nicely, indeed."
“真的很好。”
"And made a good choice of an attendant for you in Alice Wood?"
“而且选了爱丽丝.伍德来服侍你,不错吧?”
"You have indeed. She is teachable and handy."
“确实这样。她可以管教,也很派用处。
(This then, I thought, is Miss Oliver, the heiress; favoured, it seems, in the gifts of fortune, as well as in those of nature!
(那么我想这位就是继承人奥利弗小姐了。她似乎既在家产上又在那些天生丽质上得到了偏爱!
What happy combination of the planets presided over her birth, I wonder?)
我不知道她的出生碰上了什么行星的幸运组合呢?)”