Having brought my eventide musings to this point, I rose, went to my door,
薄暮时分,我想到这里便站了起来,走向门边,
and looked at the sunset of the harvest-day, and at the quiet fields before my cottage,
看看收获日子的夕阳,看看小屋前面静悄悄的田野,
which, with the school, was distant half a mile from the village.
田野与学校离村庄有半英里。
The birds were singing their last strains --
鸟儿们正唱着它们最后的一曲。
"The air was mild, the dew was balm."
“微风和煦,露水芬芳。”
While I looked, I thought myself happy, and was surprised to find myself ere long weeping --
这么瞧着感到很愉快,而且惊异地发觉自己不久哭起来了——
and why? For the doom which had reft me from adhesion to my master: for him I was no more to see;
为什么?因为厄运硬是把两情依依的我与主人拆开;因为我再也见不到他了;
for the desperate grief and fatal fury -- consequences of my departure --
因为绝望的忧伤和极度的愤怒一一我离开的后果——
which might now, perhaps, be dragging him from the path of right, too far to leave hope of ultimate restoration thither.
这些也许正拉着他远远离开正道,失去了最后改邪归正的希望。
At this thought, I turned my face aside from the lovely sky of eve and lonely vale of Morton --
想到这里我从黄昏可爱的天空和莫尔顿孤独的溪谷转过脸来——
I say lonely, for in that bend of it visible to me there was no building apparent save the church and the parsonage,
我说孤独,那是因为在山弯里,除了掩映在树从中的教堂和牧师住宅,
half-hid in trees, and, quite at the extremity, the roof of Vale Hall, where the rich Mr. Oliver and his daughter lived.
以及另一头顶端住着有钱的奥利弗先生和他的女儿的溪谷庄园,再也看不见其他建筑了。
I hid my eyes, and leant my head against the stone frame of my door;
我蒙住眼睛,把头靠在房子的石门框上。
but soon a slight noise near the wicket which shut in my tiny garden from the meadow beyond it made me look up.
但不久那扇把我的小花园与外边草地分开的小门附近,传来了轻轻的响动,我便抬起头来。
A dog -- old Carlo, Mr. Rivers' pointer, as I saw in a moment --
一条狗——不一会儿我看到是里弗斯先生的猎狗卡罗一—
was pushing the gate with his nose, and St. John himself leant upon it with folded arms;
正用鼻子推着门。圣·约翰自己抱臂靠在门上,
his brow knit, his gaze, grave almost to displeasure, fixed on me.
他双眉紧锁,严肃得近乎不快的目光盯着我,
I asked him to come in.
我把他请进了屋。