While eating disorders are not commonly talked about, statistics from National Eating Disorder Information Center shows that
虽然进食障碍不经常被谈论,但国家饮食失调信息中心的数据表明
more than 1 million people suffer from eating disorders in Canada alone.
仅在加拿大就有超过百万人患有进食障碍。
Eating disorders have some of the highest mortality rates of any mental illness and the worst part of it is that you often won't know until it's too late.
进食障碍是所有精神疾病中死亡率最高的,最糟糕的是,当你发现时,已经太晚了。
You see, having an eating disorder is much more than just hating food
进食障碍不仅仅是讨厌食物,
but rather it's characterized by someone's unusual relationship with food.
而是一个人与食物之间不寻常的关系。
Eating disorders can come in many types such as anorexia, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder and pica.
进食障碍类型很多,如厌食症、神经性贪食症、暴食症和异食癖。
Each with very different symptoms. This video is not only dedicated to those who want to help a loved one who's struggling
每一种都有非常不同的症状。本期视频不仅是献给那些想要帮助正在挣扎的爱人的人
but also everyone who wants to understand the sensitive yet important topic.
还有每一个想要了解这个敏感而重要话题的人。
So here are 5 things not to say or do when you know someone has an eating disorder.
以下是不能跟进食障碍患者说或做的事情。
1. Talking about your body.
1. 谈论你的体型。
We know while it's come out naturally but remember people with an eating disorder are extra sensitive.
虽然我们知道这是无心的,但要记住进食障碍患者格外敏感。
Don't compare yourself to us because it can become a trigger.
不要拿你和我们比,因为这可能成为触发点。
We're already more insecure and uncomfortable with our bodies
我们对自己的身体已经够缺乏安全感和不适了
so whether you're giving us a compliment or just saying how you feel about your own body,
所以不管你们是称赞或是表达自己对我们身体的感受,
our eating disorders find ways to interpret it as a criticism.
我们的进食障碍总会把这解读为一种批评。
2. Force-feeding which is mostly applied to anorexia or bulimia.
2. 强迫进食,多和厌食症或贪食症相关。
No ,we don't mean trying to stuff our faces with food, we mean pushing the plate closer to us one step at a time.
不,我们的意思不是用食物填满我们的脸,我们是说一次一步地把盘子推向我们。
We know you care about us and attempt little things to help us but remember our minds are controlled by our eating disorders.
我们知道你们关心我们,想要帮助我们,但是记住我们的思维被我们的进食障碍所控制。
We've lost our sense of a proper serving of food and we depend on you to help us decide what is normal
我们已经失去了正确享用食物的感觉,我们依靠你们来帮助我们决定什么是正常的
but when we see you adding more and more, it only makes us more cautious and fearful about the meal in front of us.
但是当我们看见你加的食物越来越多,这只会让我们对我们面前的食物更加警惕和恐惧。
3. I understand what you're going through.
3. 我理解你的感受。
No. you really don't. The saying that doesn't change the situation,
不,你不理解。这样说无法改变现状,
it triggers us and we feel more frustrated because it seems like you're trivializing what we're going through.
只会让我们更加沮丧,因为你似乎把我们的经历看得微不足道。
When you tell us you understand, it makes it seem like we're an easy fix,
当你说你理解时,这让我们的问题看起来很容易解决,
but the truth is it takes two years on average for someone to recover from an eating disorder.
但事实是大家平均要花两年时间才能从进食障碍中恢复。
4. Your diet.
4. 你的饮食。
'I'm on a detox tea diet and that's all I'm having today.'
“我正在用排毒茶饮食,这就是我今天吃的所有东西。”
When you say these things to us, we naturally start to compare ourselves to you.
当你告诉我们这些时,我们自然会开始进行比较。
We might think to ourselves if you're on that diet maybe I should be on it too. It makes us feel even more guilty about eating.
我们可能会想,如果你进行这种饮食方式,那么我也应该这样。它会让我们对进食感到罪恶。
Please consider our feelings, too. We don't hate food but we still care about what's going in.
也请考虑我们的感受。我们不讨厌食物,但是我们关心食物。
5. You don't look like you have an eating disorder.
5. 你看起来不想有进食障碍。
Eating disorders can be very insidious. They aren't obvious until it's too late
进食障碍是很危险的。直到一切都太迟了,它们才显现出来
and sometimes we don't even know we're struggling until things get worse.
有时,我们甚至不知道我们患有进食障碍,直到事情变得更糟。
Eating disorders can result in all forms, shapes and sizes.
进食障碍导致后果各种各样。
Whenever we hear this, our disorders would tell us that there's nothing abnormal about our behaviors and this makes recovery even harder for us.
无论何时听到这种话,我们的障碍症会告诉我们,我们的行为没有任何异常,这让我们更难恢复。
We might look normal on the outside but we're fragile and even broken on the inside.
我们可能外表看似正常,但是我们很脆弱,内心甚至已经破碎。
Eating disorders affect everyone differently and can be caused by many different factors.
进食障碍对每个人影响不同,引起的因素有很多。
Just like recovering from any other mental illness, all we need is support and love.
就像从其他精神疾病中恢复一样,我们需要的只是支持和爱。
No, it's not only about the words you say but you being here for us mentally and physically,
不,这不仅仅是你说的话,而是你在精神上和身体上都与我们同在,
believe in us and remember to tell us that you aren't alone and everybody is beautiful,
相信我们,并记得告诉我们,你并不孤独,每个人都是美丽的,
it's not the body that makes us, it's what's on the inside.
造就我们的不是我们的身体,而是我们的内心。
We might not believe that now but maybe with your help in time we will.
我们现在可能不相信,但也许在你的帮助下,我们会相信的。
Do you know anyone with an eating disorder? Have you struggled with it before but never knew you had it?
你认识有进食障碍的人吗?你是否曾经与它斗争过,却从不知道你患有这种障碍症?
Share your thoughts with us in the comment section below. If you enjoyed this video and found it helpful
请在下方和我们分享你的想法。如果你喜欢本期视频,觉得它有帮助,
please do consider subscribing and share this video with someone who might need it. Thanks for watching.
请订阅,并和需要的人分享。感谢收看。