I felt the consecration of its loneliness:
体会到它所奉献的孤寂。
my eye feasted on the outline of swell and sweep --
我的眼目尽情地享受着起伏的荒原,
on the wild colouring communicated to ridge and dell by moss,
享受着山脊上与山谷中由青苔、灰色欧石南、和
by heath-bell, by flower-sprinkled turf,
小花点点的草地、鲜艳夺目的欧洲蕨
by brilliant bracken, and mellow granite crag.
颜色柔和的花岗岩所形成的荒野色彩。
These details were just to me what they were to them --
这些点滴景物之于我如同之于她们
so many pure and sweet sources of pleasure.
都是无数纯洁可爱的快乐源泉。
The strong blast and the soft breeze;
猛烈的狂风和柔和的微风、
the rough and the halcyon day;
凄风苦雨的天气和平平静静的日子、
the hours of sunrise and sunset;
日出时分和日落时刻、
the moonlight and the clouded night, developed for me,
月光皎洁的夜晚和乌云密布的黑夜,都使我
in these regions, the same attraction as for them --
同他们一样深为这个地区所吸引,
wound round my faculties the same spell that entranced theirs.
都对我如同对他们一样,产生了一种魔力。
Indoors we agreed equally well.
在家里我们一样相处得很融洽。
They were both more accomplished and better read than I was;
她们比我更有造诣,读的书也更多。
but with eagerness I followed in the path of knowledge they had trodden before me.
但是我急切地走着她们在我前面踩踏出来的知识之路。
I devoured the books they lent me:
我狼吞虎咽地读着他们借给我的书,
then it was full satisfaction to discuss with them in the evening what I had perused during the day.
而夜晚与她们切磋我白天读过的书是—种极大的满足。
Thought fitted thought; opinion met opinion:
我们想法一致,观点相合,
we coincided, in short, perfectly.
总之大家意气相投。
If in our trio there was a superior and a leader, it was Diana.
如果我们三人中有一位更出色者和领袖,那就是黛安娜。
Physically, she far excelled me: she was handsome; she was vigorous.
体态上她远胜于我,漂亮而精力过人,
In her animal spirits there was an affluence of life and certainty of flow, such as excited my wonder, while it baffled my comprehension.
活泼而有生气,流动着一种使我为之惊异又难以理解的丰富的生命力,
I could talk a while when the evening commenced,
夜晚的最初时刻,我还能谈一会儿,
but the first gush of vivacity and fluency gone,
但第一阵子轻松自如的谈话之后,
I was fain to sit on a stool at Diana's feet,
我便只好坐在黛安娜脚边的矮凳上,
to rest my head on her knee, and listen alternately to her and Mary,
把头靠在她膝头上,轮流听着她和玛丽
while they sounded thoroughly the topic on which I had but touched.
深谈着我只触及了皮毛的话题。