And this is the kind of social environment that we are born into,
这就是我们出生所在的社会环境
that we are raised in, and the social environment that is very difficult to change.
我们成长所在的社会环境 而这样的社会环境很难以改变
I mean I know-I have little kids at home. It is so difficult to change it
我也知道 我家里也有孩子 这太难以改变了
because very often I'm inclined to say to focus from early on the day
因为我自己也时常对孩子说并且专注于
"Oh Shirell just learned how to walk! Well done! You know you just walk"
“史瑞尤学会走路了 做得好 你学会走路了”
as opposed to rewarding the effort as we'll talk about in a minute and rewarding the hard work
而不是奖励其中所付出的努力 我们等会会讲到 奖励付出的努力
and rewarding even the failure, the trying, the coping, the process. Very difficult.
甚至奖励失败 应对与整个过程 非常难
And that's connected, of course, to the permission to be human.
这当然也和准许为人有联系
The permission for the constraint of view of the human nature,
准许看到人类本性的限制
as opposed to the idealized, disconnected, detached of view of what life can look like.
而不是理想化、孤立地、分离地看待生活
Because it can't. Instead of permission to be human, there's pressure to be perfect.
因为这不可能 如果不是准许为人 而是要求完美的话
It's constant. It's on-going. It's in the media. It's in the workplace. It's in our educational institutions.
压力是持久存在的 存在于媒体中 存在于工作中 存在于教育机构中
It's everywhere. And we pay a price for it. Now let me give you some examples.
这无处不在 我们也为之付出了代价 现在 我来给你们看几个例子
Before I give this example, just a quick introduction. As you know, academics don't make that much money.
在那前先给你们介绍一下 你们都知道 学术研究赚不了多少钱
When people go into academia, it's usually not for the money.
进入学术圈的人 大多都不是为了钱
So many academics, myself being known no exception have to supplement their income.
有很多学者 我也不例外 必须额外赚取收入
So I supplement my income-and I want to share with you something that I do on the side.
我也有额外的收入 而我希望和你们分享一下我额外做的事