Such as getting A at the end of my first grade-terrific! Gold star!
在我第一年期末的时候得了A 真不错
It's the destination that's rewarded. And after a while, we begin to internalize this schema
只有我们的成果受到了奖励 过了没多久 我们就开始内化这种基模
and we begin to believe that we accept it when we achieve a certain completion
并且我们也开始相信我们接受它 当我们达成了某种成就的时候
and goes on throughout our lives. I mean when do we get a bonus?
这样的事在我们的生活中一直延续着 我们什么时候会得到奖金
On April 3? No, we get it on December 31! Or just before Christmas at the end of the year.
在4月3号吗 当然不是 是在12月31号 或者说是圣诞节之前 年末
This was a good productive year. Well done.
今年大家都干得不错 很好
When do we get the grades, the pats on the back if we did work well?
我们什么时候会得到分数 还被别人轻拍后背表示做得不错
At the end of the semester. Or after an exam when we have completed something.
是在学期末 或是在考试后 我们完成了某些事的时候
Not during the journey. In other words, the journey goes unrewarded.
不会在旅途中得到 换句话说 整个旅途都没有受到奖励
And we begin to perceive it as inconsequential, not important, just a means toward an end.
于是我们也就开始认为它是无关的、是不重要的 只是到达终点的一种方式
Very few teachers, parents, organizations, schools reward the journey-the enjoyment of the journey.
只有非常少的教师、家长、组织,还有学校会奖励旅途、奖励旅途中的愉快
And of course, very few reward, lo and behold, failure, which is an inevitable part of every journey
当然 也有很少的人会奖励失败 可这是旅途中不可避免的
so that we learn no good-this is no good-we must have as much as possible a straight line.
所以我们觉得这不好 这一点也不好 我们必须尽可能地追求直线
A straight schema. And we pay a price for it when we internalize it.
一种直接的基模 我们内化它的时候也付出了代价