Muhammad Ali was, the story goes, the greatest boxer of all time.
坊间传闻,穆罕默德·阿里是有史以来最伟大的拳击手。
But that’s not why he’ll be remembered as the greatest.
但这并不是他将作为最伟大的人物被人们永远铭记的原因。
Yeah, he was incredibly fast in the ring.
诚然,他在拳击场上有着电闪雷鸣般的速度。
"There’s not a heavyweight in the world fast enough to stop me."
“世界上没有一个重量级拳击手能接住我的招式。”
He was so powerful, his biggest fights usually didn't go to 16 rounds.
由于实在太厉害,就算是最激烈的比赛通常都不会超过16个回合。
But Ali's greatness is all about the other punches he threw.
然而,阿里的伟大无不源于他在台下挥出的拳头。
“I SHOOK UP THE WORLD, I SHOOK UP THE WORLD, I SHOOK UP THE WORLD.”
“我震撼了世界,我震撼了世界,我震撼了世界。”
He always made boxing about something much bigger than himself.
他始终在为比他自己宏大的多的东西而打拳。
"I wanna fight for the prestige – not for me, but to uplift my brothers who are sleeping on a concrete floors today in America."
“我想为尊严而战——不是为我自己的尊严,而是为了鼓励今天在美国仍谁在混凝土地板上的我的手足兄弟而战。”
For example, listen to this story about after he won the gold medal in the 1960 olympics.
我们不妨来听一下他在1960年奥运会上斩获金牌后的故事。
"I took my gold medal.
“我拿到金牌了。
Thought I’d invented something, I said "I'm gonna get my people thrilled, I’m the champion of the whole world.
我感觉自己也算是小有成就了,‘我的父老乡亲总该为此感到开心了吧,我拿到全世界的冠军了。
Olympic champion. I know I can eat downtown now.
奥运冠军喔。我能去城里吃饭了。
And I went downtown and had my big old medal on the dresses.
所以我就去城里了,还戴着我的大金牌去的。
And at that time things weren’t integrated, the black peoples couldn’t eat downtown.
那个时候有些问题还没有解决,黑人是不能在城里用餐的。
And I went downtown and I sat down and I said 'you know, a cup of coffee and a hot dog.'
我就去城里了,我在一家餐厅坐了下来,对服务员说,‘嗯,一杯咖啡,一根热狗。’
This young lady she said 'We don’t serve negroes.'
结果那名年轻的女士说,‘本店不对黑人开放(此句有歧义:我们没有黑人这道菜)。”
And I was so mad I said 'I don’t eat’ em either, just give me a cup of coffee.'"
她给我气得,我说,‘我也不吃黑人呐,给我杯咖啡就行了。’”
So it might not be a surprise that an early mentor of his was Malcolm X, then of the very controversial Nation of Islam.
如此看来,他早期会选来自当时非常有争议的伊斯兰国度的马尔科姆·X做自己的精神导师或许也就不足为奇了(改姓“X”是伊斯兰国度的成员拒绝白人给自己取的名字的方式)。
"Have you been advising him as far as his religious affiliations are concerned?"
“你有没有就他的宗教信仰给他提过建议?”
"Well, no. I don’t give advice to anyone."
“嗯,没有。我不给任何人提建议。”
Most people know he changed his name based on his religious beliefs.
大多数人都知道他改名是因为他的宗教信仰。
But while most accounts say Cassius changed his name to Muhammad Ali, that’s not the whole story.
但是,尽管大多数报道都称卡修斯改名为穆罕默德·阿里了,但这并不是故事的全部。
The morning after Cassius became heavyweight champ,
成为重量级拳击冠军的次日上午,
he confirmed publicly that he was a member of the Nation of Islam and he and Malcolm X announced his new name.
卡修斯便公开确认自己是伊斯兰国度的成员,他和马尔科姆·X一起宣布了他的新名字。
"He said he was Cassius X."
“他说他叫卡修斯·X。”
"Clay was a white man’s name. It was a slave name."
“克莱(本意“泥土”)是一个白人的名字,是一个奴隶的名字。”
Days later, Elijah Muhammad, the leader of the Nation of Islam, went further.
几天后,伊斯兰国度的领导人以利亚·穆罕默德又将此事推上了一个新的台阶。
"Bestowing upon Cassius X an original name."
“授予卡修斯·X一个全新的名字。”
Muhammad Ali, which means "beloved of god."
穆罕默德·阿里,意思是“上帝的宠儿”。
"So I’m now Muhammad Ali."
“那我现在就叫穆罕默德·阿里了。”
But he refused to change his name legally.
但他拒绝改自己法律意义上的名字。
"Who wouldn't have a faith? The judge is what color? He’s white.
“谁没有信仰呢?法官是什么肤色的?他是白人。
So in another word, in other words I’d have to ask a white man, 'May I call myself Muhammad Ali, boss?'"
换句话说,我得问一个白人,‘老板,我可以叫自己穆罕默德·阿里吗?’”
He refused the draft to serve in Vietnam as a conscientious objector.
他由衷反对越战,拒绝到越南服兵役。
That meant losing his title, losing his profession, and being convicted in acourt.
这就意味着他会失去他的头衔,失去他的职业,还会在法庭上被定罪。
"My conscience won’t let me go shoot my brother or some darker people or some poor hungry people in the mud for big powerful America.
“我的良知不会让我为了把美国变得更强大去枪杀手足,枪杀肤色比我更深的人或枪杀在泥泞中忍饥挨饿的可怜人。
And shoot them for what?
话又说回来了,我干嘛要开枪打死他们?
They never called me nigger.
他们又没叫我黑鬼。
They never lynched me, they never put dogs on me,
又没有动私刑弄死我或放狗咬我,
they never robbed me of my nationality, raped and killed my mother and father.
也从未剥夺过我的国籍,强奸并杀害我的父母。
Well, shoot them for what? I don’t have to go and shoot them. Why don't they just take me to jail."
那我干嘛要朝他们开枪?我没必要朝他们开枪。你们干脆直接把我关起来算了。”
But his moral stand brought him into the civil rights movement.
但他的道德立场指引他加入了民权运动。
He befriended Martin Luther King Jr. despite their religious differences.
他与小马丁·路德·金成了朋友,尽管他们有着不同的宗教信仰。
"What did you discuss back in the hotel room?"
“你们在酒店房间里讨论什么了?”
"Nothing. We’re just friends. Just like Kruschev and Kennedy."
“没什么,我们只是朋友,就像赫鲁晓夫和肯尼迪一样。”
United against oppression and the war.
他们依然为了反对压迫和战争团结到了一起。
"As Muhammad Ali has just said, we are all victims of the same system of oppression.
“正如穆罕默德·阿里刚才所说,我们都是同一压迫制度的受害者。
And even though we may have different religious beliefs,
即便我们可能宗教信仰不同,
this does not at all bring about a difference in terms of our concern." "We are brothers. Still brothers."
但丝毫不影响我们对同一个问题感兴趣。”“我们是手足,依然是兄弟。”
"Do you share the same concern that Muhammad has for his draft status?"
“在穆罕默德反对服兵役一事上你是否和他有着同样的看法?”
"Oh I certainly do. You know, my views on the draft are very clear. I’m against it."
哦,当然有。你知道,我对强制征兵的看法是很明确的,我是反对强制征兵的。
And he took his case of conscientious objection to the supreme court.
他向最高法院提起了衷心拒服兵役的诉讼。
"I haven’t burnt my own draft records.
“我没有烧掉我收到的征兵通知。
But what I’m doing is legal.
但我的行为是合法的。
This is why I believe I’ll receive justice in the higher courts.
这就是为什么我相信在更高的法院我能得到公正的处理。
You can deny the draft on any grounds, but you gonna have to go to court. It’s law.
你可以以任何理由拒绝强制征兵,但你得上法庭。这是法律规定。
If you lose, you go to jail which I said I’ll do. I'm not...My fight is legal."
如果你打官司输了,那你就去坐牢,我说过我会去的。我不是……我的反对是合法的。”
Most people avoided the draft however they could, burning their draft cards,
大多数人都想法设法地躲避征兵,烧掉了自己手上的征兵卡,
or using a complicated series deferments like future president Bill Clinton did.
或者像未来的总统比尔·克林顿那样使用一系列复杂的手段推迟入伍。
"But if you notice, I’ve been the most persecuted.
“但是如果你有留心观察,你会发现我受到的迫害最严重。
I’m not allowed to work in American. I’m not allowed to leave America, home of the brave. land of the free."
他们不允许我在美国工作,也不允许我离开美国,离开这片所谓的“勇士的故乡”,“自由之邦。”