"That is well. The letter which I hold in my hand is from Lord St. Simon.
"那很好,我手中这封信就是圣西蒙勋爵写来的。
I will read it to you, and in return you must turn over these papers and let me have whatever bears upon the matter.
我读给你听听,你则一定要翻一遍这些报纸,向我提供所有关于这件事的消息。
This is what he says: "MY DEAR MR. SHERLOCK HOLMES:
他是这么写的:‘亲爱的歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生:
"Lord Backwater tells me that I may place implicit reliance upon your judgment and discretion.
据巴克沃特勋爵告知,我可以绝对信赖您的分析和判断力。
I have determined, therefore, to call upon you
因此我决定登门拜访,
and to consult you in reference to the very painful event which has occurred in connection with my wedding.
就有关我举行婚礼而发生的令人非常痛心的意外事件向您请教。
Mr. Lestrade, of Scotland Yard, is acting already in the matter,
苏格兰场的雷斯垂德先生已经受理这一案件,
but he assures me that he sees no objection to your cooperation,
但是他向我声明,他认为没有理由不和您合作,
and that he even thinks that it might be of some assistance.
他甚至认为您的合作可能会有所帮助。
I will call at four o'clock in the afternoon,
下午四点,我将登门求教,
and, should you have any other engagement at that time, I hope that you will postpone it,
届时您如另有约会,希望稍后仍能惠予接见为荷,
as this matter is of paramount importance. Yours faithfully, ST. SIMON."
因为这件事至关重要。您忠实的圣西蒙。'
"It is dated from Grosvenor Mansions, written with a quill pen,
"这封信发自格罗夫纳大厦,是用鹅毛笔写的,
and the noble lord has had the misfortune to get a smear of ink upon the outer side of his right little finger,"
尊贵的勋爵不小心在他右小指的外侧沾上了一滴墨水。"
remarked Holmes as he folded up the epistle.
福尔摩斯一边叠着信一边说。
"He says four o'clock. It is three now. He will be here in an hour."
"他约定四点钟来。现在是三点,他即将在一小时内到这里来。"