John Lasseter was aghast at the prospect of breaking up with Disney.
约翰·拉塞特对乔布斯决定与迪士尼分家的消息大为震惊。
"I was worried about my children, what they would do with the characters we'd created," he recalled.
“我担心我的‘孩子们’,那些人会怎么对待我们创造出来的这些角色呢?”他回忆道,
"It was like a dagger to my heart."
“就像匕首刺中了我的心。”
When he told his top staff in the Pixar conference room, he started crying,
拉塞特在皮克斯的会议室把这一消息告知其他髙层人员时流下了眼泪;
and he did so again when he addressed the eight hundred or so Pixar employees gathered in the studio's atrium.
第二次流泪,是在工作室的中庭里面向约800名皮克斯员工讲话时。
"It's like you have these dear children and you have to give them up to be adopted by convicted child molesters."
“这种感觉就像,你有一群可爱的孩子们,而现在不得不放弃他们,而且还把他们交给了被控有虐童罪的人来收养。”
Jobs came to the atrium stage next and tried to calm things down.
之后,乔布斯走上了中庭的讲台,试图让气氛平缓下来。
He explained why it might be necessary to break with Disney,
他向大家解释了不再和迪士尼合作的原因,
and he assured them that Pixar as an institution had to keep looking forward to be successful.
并保证:皮克斯作为一家具有标志意义的公司,一直在向成功的目标迈进。
"He has the absolute ability to make you believe," said Oren Jacob, a longtime technologist at the studio.
一位在皮克斯任职很久的技术人员奥伦·雅各布说:“他有一种绝对的能力让你去相信他。
"Suddenly, we all had the confidence that, whatever happened, Pixar would flourish."
突然之间,我们都有了信心,无论发生什么,皮克斯一定会成功的。”