手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 沃克斯独立观点 > 正文

美妆文化给我们带来的伤害(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

"If you look around this event, it's a really sort of exciting environment.

“环顾四周你会发现这个活动气氛还挺热烈的。

And we get to talk to Gigi Gorgeous, who is one of the biggest YouTube beauty gurus out there."

我们采访了Gigi Gorgeous,她是YouTube上超火的一个美妆博主。”

"Hi. Nice to meet you. Gigi. I'm Joss."

“Gigi你好,很高兴认识你,我是Joss。”

"If the internet hadn't come around, what do you think beauty culture would be like?"

“你觉得如果互联网没有出现的话,美妆文化会是什么样子?”

"It really was very rare to see a boy in makeup or, you know, a brand stepping behind a transgender woman.

“男孩子化妆,品牌赞助跨性别女性的几率都会非常非常小。

I feel like the times kind of pushed that along, but I also feel like the internet did.

我感觉是时代推动了这一切,但我觉得互联网也起了一定的作用。

Because along with these beautiful, stunning looks that are being created

因为这些美丽、惊艳的容颜被打造出来的过程中

are also these stories that are being told by the people doing them."

还伴随着一个讲故事的过程。”

"I have felt for a very long time now that I was a girl trapped inside of a boy's body."

“很久以前我就开始感觉到我是被困在了男孩儿身体里的一个女孩儿。”

"I'm really excited just today to talk about my mom. Ah! This literally smells like her."

“今天我特别特别想聊一下我妈妈。啊,这个完全就是她的味道。”

"I think that that instantly kind of connects you in a way where it's no longer fan and talent.

“我觉得就是那些故事让你和你的粉丝瞬间产生了一种纽带,你们不再是粉丝和偶像的关系。

It's literally family and, like, friend."

而变成了家人关系或朋友关系。”

"And that's what the online community feels like sometimes, a group of friends all getting ready together and swapping tips."

“这就是在线朋友圈,一群朋友时不时地一起努力,互相提供建议。”

Consumers are more informed than they've ever been.

如今的消费者见识比以往任何时候的消费者都多。

They can take these tools and change the way they present themselves to the world.

她们能够利用这些工具,改变她们自我呈现给世人的方式。

But if you look at it another way,

但如果你换个角度来看这个问题的话,

then it's this constant cycle that ultimately is costing women big chunks of their paycheck,

你就会发现这个持续不断的循环的花销到最后是非常大的

but also something that's more valuable, which is the space in their mind."

不仅如此,她们还会付出更昂贵的代价,那就是她们大脑的认知。”

"If you're like me, you're spending hours on your phone every day.

“如果你跟我一样,每天刷手机的时间长达数小时。

Last week I spent six and a half hours on Instagram.

上周我刷IG就刷了六个半小时。

Which means we're constantly faced with images of other people to compare ourselves to.

这就意味着我们会持续看到其他人的照片,激起我们的攀比心。

And a lot of the time, with the advent of filters,

而且很多时候,随着滤镜的出现,

those images are full of subtle, little changes, like this skin smoother I've been using.

那些照片充满了各种心机的小变化,比如我一直在用的这个磨皮功能。

And if everyone around you is making subtle tweaks to their face,

如果你身边的所有人都在给自己的照片修图的话,

it can warp your understanding of yourself and how you fit in.

这种风气就会扭曲你对你自己,对你应该如何融入大家这个问题的认知。

If you're thinking, sure, but we've always compared ourselves to pretty people.

如果你心里想的是,你肯定会这么想,我们一直都在拿自己和颜值高的人做比较啊。

That's true, but there's evidence to suggest it's even more concerning online.

是的没错,只是,有证据表明,这个问题放到网上就比在线下更令人忧心。

One study found it made women feel worse when they compared themselves to beautiful peers on social media

某研究发现,比起拿自己和杂志、电影等传统媒体上的美女帅哥比较,

as opposed to beautiful celebrities in traditional media like magazines and in movies.

拿自己和社交媒体上的同龄帅哥美女比较给大家造成的打击更大。

Researchers think that's because our peers on social media feel like more relevant comparisons.

研究人员认为,这是因为跟社交媒体上的同龄人比较更切实际。

They feel more like us.

他们和我们更像是一类人。

1

And then there's all the likes and comments.

其次就是点赞和评论。

Another study found that seeing someone leave a compliment

另一个研究发现,看到别人对IG上某个美女的照片发表

like, "You look amazing!" on a pretty woman's photo on Instagram, made the viewer less happy with their own body.

类似‘太美了叭!’这样的赞美之词会让看到照片的其他人对自己的身材感到不满。

I leave comments like that on my friends' posts all the time, and I really didn't realize it was having this effect.

我一直都是这么评论我朋友的照片的,我真的没有意识到会引发这样的结果。

It makes sense that the more we compare ourselves to good-looking people,

正因为如此,我们越是拿自己和长得好看的人比较,

the more dissatisfied we are, and the more beauty work it feels like we have to do to keep up.

我们就对自己越不满,就觉得自己越是需要做美容做保养才能追上他们。

And I should also say, I'm wearing makeup on a professionally lit set.

而且我得说,我化妆是因为职业需要。

So, I have no high horse here."

所以我并不是在以高人一等的口气在跟你们说这事儿。”

"This says, 'Youth activating concentrate.'

“这个上面写的是,‘精华肌底液’。

Because there's a 23-year-old inside me.

因为我身体内还住着一个23的我。

You just have to activate it with something like this."

所以你只需要用类似这样的产品唤醒她(就能拥有年轻漂亮)。”

I do use this often 'Cause it feels really good. It's super cold."

我经常用这个因为用的时候很舒服。凉凉的。”

"What is its objective?"

“那它有什么作用呢?”

"I'm sure it does nothing."

“我敢肯定,什么作用也没有。”

"Skincare is really expensive.

“护肤真的非常烧钱。

My facial oils are an investment, and it's just never-ending in the name of self-care."

我的擦脸油也是一笔投资,是打着呵护自己的旗号的一个无底洞。”

"I see these lines, and they're just gonna get worse and worse and worse.

“我看到了这些皱纹,越来越多越来越多的皱纹。

And I should actually love them and accept them because they're lines that are actually the result of my life.

我应该爱它们,接受它们,因为它们实际上是岁月的痕迹。

But they really, really bother me, and now it's the first thing that I see."

但它们真的让我觉得非常苦恼,现在,它们已经变成我一眼就能看见的东西了。”

"I see my boyfriend just roll out of bed and take a shower and go to work.

“我看到我男朋友起床后只需要洗个澡就能去上班了。

And when I watch him do that I wonder, you know, not why can't I do that, but why does it feel so bad when I do?"

那个时候我想的是啥你知道嘛,我想的不是为什么我不能像他那样(糙),而是为什么我也那样的时候就觉得特别罪恶?”

"Hello." "Hey."

“你好。”“你好。”

"So we're gonna talk about the bigger context here." "Okay."

“我们先跟你交代一下大背景吧。”“好呀。”

"Recently, a group of computer scientists figured out a way to analyze the language

“最近,有群计算机科学家发明了一种分析工具,

that writers use when they describe men and women in three and a half million books in English.

能够对350万部英语作品中作家们描述男性和女性时分别使用的语言加以分析。

We're talking about both nonfiction and fiction books.

有小说类作品,也有非小说类作品。

So what they did is they pulled out the 200 adjectives that were most uniquely used to describe men and women.

他们干嘛了呢,他们筛选出了200个专门用来形容男性或专门用来形容女性的形容词。

And what they found was that of those words,

他们的结论是,在这些形容词中,

the ones used to describe women were twice as likely to be about their physical appearance or their bodies."

形容女性的词跟外貌或身体有关的可能性是形容男性的词的两倍。”

"Mm. Pretty, fair, beautiful, lovely, charming-- those are all kind of words describing appearance.

“嗯。俊俏,漂亮,美丽,可爱,招人喜欢——这些都是形容外貌的。

Whereas like faithful, responsible, grand, worthy, adventurous,

守信的、有责任感的,了不起的,值得尊敬的,有冒险精神的之类的词

these are all, like, character judgments of who someone actually is."

则都是评价一个人的性格的词。”

"Mm-hmm. And these are books that were published between the years 1500 and 2008.

“没错。那些书都是1500~2008年间出版的。

So what about today?

那今天的书里又是个什么情况呢?

Well, in 2017, the Pew Research Center did a survey of American adults, and they asked this really interesting question,

其实,2017年的时候,皮尤研究中心对美国成年人展开了一项调查,他们问了一个非常有意思的问题,

which was, 'What traits do people in our society value most in men and in women?'" "Okay."

‘我们社会中的人最看重男性和女性的哪些特质?’”“好吧。”

"Now, this was an open-ended question, meaning people could write anything.

“这是一个开放式的问题,意思就是答案没有限制。

But you guys are gonna do the multiple choice version.

但你们要做一个多选的版本。

What do you guys think the top six responses were?"

你们觉得被提到最多的六个特质都有哪些呢?”

"Strength and toughness I feel like is not gonna be on the female list for what people value."

“我感觉力量、刚毅不会出现在女生的特质榜上。”

"Yeah, that's gotta be off the list." "And ambition. People hate those things in women."

“同意。那就可以排除了。”“还有野心,大家是不喜欢女孩子有这类品质的。”

"Wow, it's just so hard to listen to this."

“啊,听你们说这个好难受啊。”

"You both have six down. You good with them?"

你们都有六个可选,这样可以吗?”

"All right, should Joss and I rearrange?"

“好吧,我跟Joss要给它们重新排列一下吗?”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
valuable ['væljuəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 贵重的,有价值的
n. (pl.)贵

联想记忆
rearrange ['ri:ə'reindʒ]

想一想再看

重新整理,重新排序

联想记忆
rare [rɛə]

想一想再看

adj. 稀罕的,稀薄的,罕见的,珍贵的
ad

 
brand [brænd]

想一想再看

n. 商标,牌子,烙印,标记
vt. 打烙印,

联想记忆
subtle ['sʌtl]

想一想再看

adj. 微妙的,敏感的,精细的,狡诈的,不明显的

 
objective [əb'dʒektiv]

想一想再看

adj. 客观的,目标的
n. 目标,目的;

联想记忆
opposed [ə'pəuzd]

想一想再看

adj. 反对的,敌对的 v. 和 ... 起冲突,反抗

 
ambition [æm'biʃən]

想一想再看

n. 雄心,野心,抱负,精力
vt. 有 ..

联想记忆
context ['kɔntekst]

想一想再看

n. 上下文,环境,背景

联想记忆
community [kə'mju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。