Chemistry explains literally everything that is happening around you.
化学几乎能解释发生在我们身边的一切。
The dry ice is taking the thermal energy from the water.
干冰正在吸收水中的热能。
Unfortunately I instantaneously get judged on my appearance.
不幸的是,我经常被以貌取人。
That is very frustrating for me.
这点让我挺郁闷的。
So, I'm gonna pick up my hot water.
我准备拿热水过来了。
When I come over here and I’m gonna throw it right into my bucket, okay?
拿过来之后我就往桶里倒,好吗?
It means I have to work harder, but at the end it is so, so incredibly worth it.
这就意味着我要付出更多的努力,不过结果表明,那些努力是非常非常值得的。
And one.
一。
My name is Dr. Kate Biberdorf, and I am a lecturer at the University of Texas at Austin.
我是凯特·比伯多夫博士,我是德克萨斯大学奥斯汀分校的一名讲师。
I'm trying to break the stigma of what a stereotypical scientist looks like,
我正在努力打破大家对科学家一般是什么样这一问题的刻板印象,
so my thing is I am not wearing a bow tie, I'm not wearing suspenders, I don't have some frumpy cardigan on,
我选择不戴领结,不穿背带裤,也不穿俗套的羊毛衫,
I'm just some regular girl who likes to play with fire and I also really like designer shoes and that's okay.
我只是一个喜欢玩火的普通女孩,我也很喜欢名牌鞋,两者一点儿都不冲突啊。
As the alginate hits the calcium chloride,
海藻酸盐(溶液)接触到氯化钙以后,
the alginate would prefer to be with the two-plus charge calcium instead of the one-plus charge sodium
会倾向于与带两个正电荷的钙离子结合而不与带一个正电荷的钠离子结合,
and what happens is we form gummy worms.
毛毛虫软糖就制作好啦。
It doesn't matter what you look like, any human can be a scientist.
你长什么样并不重要,任何人都能当科学家。
I definitely try to use energy and excitement.
我当然有努力利用大家的情绪和热情了。
I love this one.
好喜欢这个。
I do my best to try to reach students that might be intimidated by science.
我会尽我最大的努力去打开那些害怕科学的学生的心扉。
I use anything that will make the 483 students sit up straight and actually listen to the words coming out of your mouth.
只要能让我的483个学生端端正正地坐着听我讲课,什么办法我都愿意去尝试。
As soon as I've exploded something in their face,
一旦我当着他们的面引爆某个东西,
I have their attention for just 60 seconds and I can do whatever I can to shove that knowledge right into their brains.
我就只有60秒的时间,之后他们就会走神了,所以我会尽我所能把实验涉及到的知识点塞到他们的脑子里。
Ah, yay.
啊,耶!
Okay, so what we're gonna do today is learn some chemistry.
听着,我们今天这堂课要学的是化学,
We're going to do three different hands-on experiments.
我们要做三个不同的实验。
I find chemistry to be an incredibly challenging topic.
我发现化学是一个极具挑战性的课题。
Pour your water, pour your water.
快倒水,倒水。
Beautiful, now keep watching, keep watching.
非常棒,现在注意观察,注意观察。
I'm so sick of the stereotypical female scientist and we can do things other than biology, by the way.
我已经完完全全受够了大家对女科学家的刻板印象了,对了,除了生物,别的学科我们也能研究。
Chemistry, physics, engineering, we can do it.
化学,物理,工程,我们都能研究。
Look at what you made.
你好棒啊!
The fact that I've been able to master it but then use science to start the conversation
我掌握了这门科学,还用科学开启了对话,
but then physically stand there and break that image.
并亲身站出来打破这种刻板印象。
It's the most rewarding thing I could ever do, ever.
这是我这辈子做过的,最最有意义的事情。