But next day, Want came to me pale and bare.
但第二天,苍白赤裸的匮乏,幽灵似地来到我身边。
Long after the little birds had left their nests;
小鸟早已离开他们的巢穴,
long after bees had come in the sweet prime of day to gather the heath honey before the dew was dried
早露未干蜜蜂便早已在一天的黄金时刻飞到欧石南丛中采蜜,
when the long morning shadows were curtailed, and the sun filled earth and sky -- I got up, and I looked round me.
早晨长长的影子缩短了,太阳普照大地和天空--我才起身,朝四周看了看。
What a still, hot, perfect day! What a golden desert this spreading moor!
一个多么宁静、炎热的好天!一望无际的荒原多像一片金灿灿的沙漠!
Everywhere sunshine. I wished I could live in it and on it.
处处都是阳光。我真希望自己能住在这里,并以此为生。
I saw a lizard run over the crag; I saw a bee busy among the sweet bilberries.
我看见一条蜥蜴爬过岩石,一只蜜蜂在甜蜜的越桔中间忙碌。
I would fain at the moment have become bee or lizard, that I might have found fitting nutriment, permanent shelter here.
此刻我愿做蜜蜂或蜥蜴,能在这里找到合适的养料和永久的住处。
But I was a human being, and had a human being's wants:
但我是人,有着人的需求。
I must not linger where there was nothing to supply them.
我可不能逗留在一个无法满足这种需求的地方,
I rose; I looked back at the bed I had left.
我站了起来,回头看了一眼我留下的床铺。
Hopeless of the future, I wished but this -- that my Maker had that night thought good to require my soul of me while I slept;
我感到前途无望,但愿造物主认为有必要在夜里我熟睡时把我的灵魂要去;
and that this weary frame, absolved by death from further conflict with fate,
但愿我这疲乏的身躯能因为死亡而摆脱同命运的进一步搏斗,
had now but to decay quietly, and mingle in peace with the soil of this wilderness.
但愿它此刻无声无息地腐败,平静地同这荒原的泥土融为一体。
Life, however, was yet in my possession, with all its requirements, and pains, and responsibilities.
然而,我还有生命,还有生命的一切需要、痛苦和责任。
The burden must be carried; the want provided for; the suffering endured; the responsibility fulfilled. I set out.
包袱还得背着;需要还得满足;痛苦还得忍受;责任还是要尽。于是我出发了。