Losing my vision taught me to be more fearless in life.
失明让我在生活中变得更加无畏了。
If you can't see how steep the mountain is, then you can't fear it.
因为看不见山有多陡,你就不会害怕。
If my mom were still here today, I would ask her to teach me how to make her Vietnamese beef noodle soup.
如果我妈妈还在,我会让她教我怎么做她拿手的越南牛肉面。
Alexa, asked Delta to turn on.
Alexa,打开水龙头。
She was able to take very simple ingredients and do something magical to them.
非常简单的食材她都能做出非常神奇的料理。
Since she dies, she left no written recipes.
去世前,她没有留下任何书面的食谱。
Alexa, asked Delta to dispense four quarts of water.
Alexa,往锅里加四夸脱水。
So I have yet to figure out how to make her mysterious beef noodle soup.
我现在都还没学会她那道神秘的牛肉面。
Because I'm visually impaired,
我有视觉障碍,
I'm known as the blind cook, and I just opened my first restaurant called the blind goat.
所以大家都叫我“盲厨师”,最近我刚开了我的第一家餐馆,叫“盲羊”。
I started losing my vision around the same time that I started teaching myself how to cook.
我开始学烹饪那会儿,我也开始失明了。
Every time my vision would decrease,
视力一次比一次差,
I would have to teach myself again how do I use the stove or how do I use a knife.
怎么用灶,怎么用刀,我都学了一遍又一遍。
Just trying to get better every day with every recipe I made.
每天都在努力让自己做的每一道菜都一次比一次好吃。
I'm best known for winning a cooking competition on television.
大家知道最多的是我在电视烹饪比赛中拿过奖。
I also wrote a cookbook that made it onto the bestseller list.
我还写过一本上了畅销书排行榜的食谱。
Now I'm considered an insider in the industry.
现在,大家已经认可我是圈内人了。
As someone who's visually impaired, measuring liquids has been a challenge.
作为一名视障人士,测量液体对我来说是个问题。
I use voice-activated technology a lot in the kitchen.
所以,在厨房里我会经常用智能声控技术。
It’s just much easier to speak to a device, whether it's measurements or getting equipment to turn on or off.
无论是测量也好,开关什么东西也好,用这种设备会容易得多。
Cooking is a very sensual process.
烹饪是非常依赖感官的一件事。
Because I don't have the sense of sight, when I taste something, I really break it down in my head.
因为看不见,所以尝东西的时候,我会在脑子里把它分解成很多部分。
I picture exactly how I want the dish to look.
我会想象我做的菜应该是什么样子。
I have the memory of what colors look like, so I know what white what orange, what green look like.
我还记得各种颜色是什么样,所以我知道白色,橙色,绿色是什么样的。
So I imagine first.
所以我会先想象。
I think the art on a dish.
我认为菜品就是盘子上的艺术。
This is when I feel the most zin.
这是我最心动的时刻。
Pho is a dish that even though it's that simple, it's hard to execute.
越南牛肉面看着简单,做起来却并不容易。
Although each time I make it, it gets better and better, it has yet to still capture the memory of my mom's.
虽然每次我都越做越好,但还是没有做出记忆中我妈妈做的那个味道。
Whether it's trying to get through challenges to win a cooking competition,
无论是试着去接受挑战,赢得烹饪比赛,
to opening a restaurant, to just trying to replicate my mom's beef noodle soup,
还是开我自己的餐厅,还是试着做出我妈妈那碗牛肉面,
you just have to try over and over until you succeed.
你都得不断地去尝试,直到成功。
Comfort food at the end of the day is what matters to me most.
对我来说,最重要的就是在一天的劳作之后能够吃上一顿慰藉心灵的晚饭。
But it's really something that reminds you of childhood
但事实上,最重要的是,它会让你想起你的童年,
that brings back certain memories that makes you feel sentimental for the past.
它能让你回忆起一些事情,让你走进你的过去。
I would not trade where I am today to have my vision back.
我不会拿今天的我去换回我的视力。
When I cook, I feel like my mom's spirit is somewhere nearby.
做饭的时候,我能感觉到妈妈的灵魂就在附近。
I think all of these things are a tribute to her, and in homage to how my mom viewed food.
我做所有这些都是在缅怀她,缅怀她看待食物的方式。