Alright, everybody ready? Just stretch him out.
好了,大家都准备好了吗?把他拽出来吧。
This is a hatchling. This is a brand new snake.
这条才刚孵出来。才刚来到这个世界。
This was born this year, and this is maybe a month old.
今年才出生的,可能才一个月大。
Within five years, this'll be 12-13 feet.
五年内,它就会长到12~13英尺(约3.6~3.9米)长。
It's amazing how quick they grow.
长得特别快。
The Swamp Apes take veterans into the Everglades to track and capture Burmese pythons.
“沼泽猿”会带领老兵进入大沼泽地去追踪和捕捉缅甸蟒。
We help the veterans overcome their challenges from their service.
我们是想通过这样的活动,帮助退伍军人克服服役给他们留下的挑战(阴影)。
At the same time, the wilderness benefits from the removal of these animals.
与此同时,清除这些蟒蛇也有益于大沼泽地这片原野的存在。
My name is Tom Rahill. I founded the Swamp Apes.
我叫汤姆·拉希尔。我是“沼泽猿”的创立者。
The Swamp Apes are an organization dedicated to serving veterans who serve in the wilderness.
“沼泽猿”是一个致力于为在荒野服役的老兵服务的组织。
The Everglades is renowned for it biological diversity, it's under threat by the Burmese pythons.
生物多样性是大沼泽地的一块招牌,而缅甸蟒的存在威胁到了它的这一招牌。
"One more python out of our Everglades."
“大沼泽地又少了一条蟒蛇啦。”
The Burmese pythons have decimated the mammal population; that's their primary food source.
缅甸巨蟒已经在大沼泽地捕食了大量的哺乳动物;因为哺乳动物是它们的主要食物来源。
It's estimated that there are over 100,000 pythons in the Everglades.
据估计,大沼泽地有超过10万条蟒蛇。
The Swamp Apes have captured and removed over 1,000 pythons.
我们“沼泽猿”已经捕获并清除了1000多条了。
The Burmese pythons, largely, were released by irresponsible pet owners.
这里面的大部分缅甸蟒都是那些不负责任的养缅甸蟒当宠物的人放生的。
"Hang on, we got something."
“等一下,有情况。”
A 15-foot python could have 60 hatches, and it's just...it's an exponential problem.
一条15英尺(约4.6米)长的蟒蛇能产60只小蟒蛇,而总的小蟒蛇的数量是以指数的形式增长的。
The hope is to remove enough of the breeding females that we can severely diminish the population.
我们想的是,清除足够多已经进入繁殖期的雌蟒蛇,这样我们就能大大减少大沼泽地的蟒蛇总数。
During the wet season, which we're in now, the technique for capturing pythons is road-cruising.
雨季,也就是现在这个季节,捕捉蟒蛇的方法就是到路上去巡逻。
At night, when it's a little moist out, reptiles come out onto the road.
晚上,外面有点潮湿的时候,爬行动物就会爬到路上来。
We have a policy of live capture with the pythons.
我们的方针就是抓活的。
We effectively jump on the pythons.
要抓就抓它个趁其不备。
"That's a nice sized one, too."
“这条的个头也不小呢。”
"You grab them as soon as you can behind the head.
“快速地抓住它们的后脖颈,能抓多快就多快。
That business end of a python can be very dangerous.
它尾部的杀伤力是很大的。
We turn them over to the scientists; sadly, 99-percent of these animals have to be euthanized."
我们把逮来的这些蟒蛇都交给科学家了;遗憾的是,其中有99%的都不得不被安乐死。”
"That's a whole population of native critters that are being saved."
“我们拯救的整个原生生物种群都在这里了。”
The Swamp Apes began in 2008, for me, as a tool to deal with some personal grief.
2008年,我成立“沼泽猿”原本是为了给自己一个排遣忧伤的渠道。
When my wife moved to Arkansas to take a teaching job, I'd only see her once every month or two.
当时,我妻子调到阿肯色州当教师去了,我一两个月才能见她一面。
Consequently, I was hurtin' emotionally.
以致于我内心就很受伤。
And I went and started volunteering in the Everglades National Park.
所以我就去了大沼泽地国家公园当志愿者。
I then was invited to join the python eradication team,
后来我被邀请加入了蟒蛇清理小组,
and at a certain point it occurred to me that this would be great for veterans also with PTSD and other challenges.
后来,我突然想到,这个活动兴许对患有创伤后应激障碍(PTSD)或其他问题的老兵有帮助。
The Swamp Apes are a unique program: we embrace the veteran skillset.
“沼泽猿”是很独特的一个项目,因为我们采纳了老兵们的那些技能。
Basic training for a veteran would include situational-awareness, threat-assessment, self-reliance, chain-of-command, mission-focus.
老兵接受过的基本训练包括对形势的判断力、评估威胁的能力、自力更生的能力、指挥系统还有专注于任务的能力。
"You got your mojo working man."
“真有你的。”
Once they get out of the service, they don't necessarily have a place to apply the basic training, let alone specialized training.
一旦退役,他们就不一定有地方施展这些基本功了,更不用说那些专业训练了。
Swamp Apes use that training and celebrate that training, and the veterans service, by applying it to python removal.
“沼泽猿”让他们将这些能力施展到蟒蛇清除工作上,不仅让他们的能力有了用武之地,也是对他们的这些训练还有他们的贡献的一种致敬。
"Why don't you come with me? Ow, he bit my hand."
“你干嘛不跟我走呢?啊,他咬我手了。”
We have positively impacted hundreds of veterans with the program.
我们的这项计划已经给好几百个退伍军人带去了积极的力量。
They benefit from the natural therapy of being out there, tracking, capturing, and removing the pythons.
他们都感受到了走出来追踪蟒蛇,抓蟒蛇,清理蟒蛇这一自然疗法的好处。
"Come on, pretty girl."
“加油啊,小美女。”
Our ultimate goal is to have therapists accompany us, and be a prescribable therapy organization.
我们的终极目标是让治疗师陪我们一起抓蟒蛇,让我们这个组织成为一个能够被医生认可的治疗组织。
As noble and as effective as the Swamp Apes are in engaging veterans, at the end of the day, we get to jump on big snakes. It's awesome.
“沼泽猿”在调动老兵的积极性方面是非常高尚也非常有效的,总而言之,突袭大蟒蛇。那种感觉太爽了。