He had ceased to strike and was gazing up at the ventilator
他已停止了抽打,朝上注视着通气孔,
when suddenly there broke from the silence of the night the most horrible cry to which I have ever listened.
紧接着在黑夜的寂静之中,突然爆发出一声我有生以来未听到过的最可怕的尖叫。
It swelled up louder and louder, a hoarse yell of pain and fear and anger all mingled in the one dreadful shriek.
而且叫声越来越高,这是交织着痛苦、恐惧和愤怒的令人可怖的尖声哀号。
They say that away down in the village, and even in the distant parsonage, that cry raised the sleepers from their beds.
据说这喊声把远在村里,甚至远教区的人们都从熟睡中惊醒。
It struck cold to our hearts, and I stood gazing at Holmes,
这一叫声使我们为之毛骨悚然。我站在那里,呆呆地望着福尔摩斯,
and he at me, until the last echoes of it had died away into the silence from which it rose.
他也呆呆地望着我,一直到最后的回声渐趋消失,一切又恢复了原来的寂静时为止。
"What can it mean?" I gasped.
"这是什么意思?"我忐忑不安地说。
"It means that it is all over," Holmes answered.
"这意思是事情就这样了结了,"福尔摩斯回答道。
"And perhaps, after all, it is for the best. Take your pistol, and we will enter Dr. Roylott's room."
"而且,总的来看,这可能是最好的结局。带着你的手枪,我们到罗伊洛特医生的房间去。"
With a grave face he lit the lamp and led the way down the corridor.
他点着了灯,带头走过过道,表情非常严峻。
Twice he struck at the chamber door without any reply from within.
他敲了两次卧室的房门,里面没有回音.
Then he turned the handle and entered, I at his heels, with the cocked pistol in my hand.
他随手转动了门把手,进入房内,我紧跟在他身后,手里握着扳起击铁的手枪。