In India, we have these huge families.
印度有很多大家族。
I bet a lot of you all must have heard about it.
相信大家有所耳闻。
Which means that there are a lot of family events.
大家族就有很多大型家族活动。
So as a child, my parents used to drag me to these family events.
我小的时候常被父母拖过去参加。
But the one thing that I always looked forward to was playing around with my cousins.
但我唯一想做的就是,找我亲戚玩。
And there was always this one uncle who used to be there, always ready, jumping around with us,
以前那里总有一个叔叔,经常做好了准备和我们一起跳,
having games for us, making us kids have the time of our lives.
陪我们玩,陪我们度过了快乐的时光。
This man was extremely successful: he was confident and powerful.
这个人及其的成功:自信、有能力。
But then I saw this hale and hearty person deteriorate in health. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
但是随后这个健壮精神的人生了病,被诊断为帕金森综合征。
Parkinson's is a disease that causes degeneration of the nervous system,
帕金森综合征会引发神经系统退化,
which means that this person who used to be independent suddenly finds tasks like drinking coffee, because of tremors, much more difficult.
意味着一个过去独立的人突然因为颤抖连喝咖啡都变得非常困难。
My uncle started using a walker to walk, and to take a turn,
我的叔叔开始使用拐杖行走,想要拐弯,
he literally had to take one step at a time, like this, and it took forever.
就必须像这样一点一点地走,要花很久的时间。
So this person, who used to be the center of attention in every family gathering, was suddenly hiding behind people.
所以一个以前每次家庭聚会上都成为焦点的男人,突然躲在了大家的后面。
He was hiding from the pitiful look in people's eyes.
他在躲避大家怜悯的目光。