I had forgotten the strange pets which the doctor affected.
我已经忘了医生所宠爱的奇特动物。
There was a cheetah, too; perhaps we might find it upon our shoulders at any moment.
还有一只印度猎豹呢!我们随时都有可能发现它趴在我们的肩上。
I confess that I felt easier in my mind when,
我承认,直到这时,我才感到放心一些。
after following Holmes's example and slipping off my shoes, I found myself inside the bedroom.
我学着福尔摩斯的样子,脱下鞋,钻进了卧室。
My companion noiselessly closed the shutters, moved the lamp onto the table, and cast his eyes round the room.
我的伙伴毫无声息地关上了百叶窗,把灯挪到桌子上,向屋子四周瞧了瞧。
All was as we had seen it in the daytime.
室内一切,和我们白天见到的一样。
Then creeping up to me and making a trumpet of his hand,
他蹑手蹑脚地走到我跟前,把手圈成喇叭形,
he whispered into my ear again so gently that it was all that I could do to distinguish the words:
他再次在我耳边轻声细语,声音轻得我刚能听出他说的是些什么:
"The least sound would be fatal to our plans."
"哪怕是最小的声音,都会破坏我们的计划。"
I nodded to show that I had heard.
我点头表示我听见了。
"We must sit without light. He would see it through the ventilator." I nodded again.
"我们必须摸黑坐着,他会从通气孔发现有亮光的。"我又点了点头。
"Do not go asleep; your very life may depend upon it. Have your pistol ready in case we should need it.
"千万别睡着,这关系到你的性命。把你的手枪准备好,以防万一我们用得着它。
I will sit on the side of the bed, and you in that chair."
我坐在床边,你坐在那把椅子上。"
I took out my revolver and laid it on the corner of the table.
我取出左轮手枪,放在桌子角上。
Holmes had brought up a long thin cane, and this he placed upon the bed beside him.
福尔摩斯带来了一根又细又长的藤鞭,把它放在身边的床上。
By it he laid the box of matches and the stump of a candle.
床旁边放了一盒火柴和一个蜡烛头。
Then he turned down the lamp, and we were left in darkness.
然后,他吹熄了灯,我们就呆在黑暗中了。