Sherlock Holmes and I had no difficulty in engaging a bedroom and sitting-room at the Crown Inn.
歇洛克·福尔摩斯和我没费什么事就在克朗旅店订了一间卧室和一间起居室。
They were on the upper floor, and from our window
房间在二层楼,通过窗子
we could command a view of the avenue gate, and of the inhabited wing of Stoke Moran Manor House.
我们可以俯瞰斯托克莫兰庄园林荫道旁的大门和主人的边房。
At dusk we saw Dr. Grimesby Roylott drive past,
黄昏时刻,我们看到格里姆斯比·罗伊洛特医生驱车过去,
his huge form looming up beside the little figure of the lad who drove him.
他那硕大的躯体出现在给他赶车的瘦小的少年身旁,显得格外突出。
The boy had some slight difficulty in undoing the heavy iron gates,
那男仆在打开沉重的大铁门时,稍稍费了点事,
and we heard the hoarse roar of the doctor's voice and saw the fury with which he shook his clinched fists at him.
我们听到医生嘶哑的咆哮声,并且看到他由于激怒而对那男仆挥舞着拳头。
The trap drove on, and a few minutes later we saw a sudden light spring up among the trees as the lamp was lit in one of the sitting-rooms.
马车继续前进,过一会儿,我们看到树丛里突然照耀出一道灯光,原来这是有一间起居室点上了灯。
"Do you know, Watson," said Holmes as we sat together in the gathering darkness,
"你知道吗,华生?"福尔摩斯说。这时,夜幕逐渐降临。
"I have really some scruples as to taking you to-night. There is a distinct element of danger."
我们正坐在一起谈话,"今天晚上你同我一起来,我的确不无顾虑,因为确实存在着明显的危险因素。"
"Can I be of assistance?"
"我能助一臂之力吗?"
"Your presence might be invaluable."
"你在场可能会起很重要的作用。"
"Then I shall certainly come."
"那么,我当然应该来。"
"It is very kind of you."
"非常感谢!"