Holmes walked slowly round and examined each and all of them with the keenest interest.
福尔摩斯在房间里慢慢地绕了一圈,全神贯注地,逐一地将它们都检查了一遍。
"What's in here?" he asked, tapping the safe.
他敲敲保险柜问道:“这里面是什么?"
"My stepfather's business papers."
"我继父业务上的文件。"
"Oh! you have seen inside, then?"
"噢,那么你看见过里面的了?"
"Only once, some years ago. I remember that it was full of papers."
"仅仅一次,那是几年以前。我记得里面装满了文件。"
"There isn't a cat in it, for example?"
"比方说,里边不会有一只猫吗?"
"No. What a strange idea!"
"不会,多么奇怪的想法!"
"Well, look at this!" He took up a small saucer of milk which stood on the top of it.
"哦,看看这个!"他从保险柜上边拿起一个盛奶的浅碟。
"No; we don't keep a cat. But there is a cheetah and a baboon."
"不,我们没养猫。但是有一只印度猎豹和一只狒狒。"
"Ah, yes, of course! Well, a cheetah is just a big cat,
"啊,是的,当然!嗯,一只印度猎豹也差不多就是一只大猫,
and yet a saucer of milk does not go very far in satisfying its wants, I daresay.
可是,我敢说要满足它的需要,一碟奶怕不怎么够吧。
There is one point which I should wish to determine."
还有一个特点,我必须确定一下。"
He squatted down in front of the wooden chair and examined the seat of it with the greatest attention.
他蹲在木椅前,聚精会神地检查了椅子面。