Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Mark, you were right on the money when you said we should get going early this morning.
京晶:马克,你说的我们应该今天一大早就出发,真是太对了。
Mark: I never get tired of hearing you say I'm right, Jingjing. But seriously, yeah: we have a few hours to enjoy the surf and sand, before we have to start thinking about lunch.
马克:京晶,听你夸我对我真是百听不厌。但说真的,没错,在我们考虑吃什么午餐之前我们还能享受几个小时的海浪和沙滩。
Jingjing: Oh, don't mention food. You know I didn't bring much in my bag for the trip.
京晶:哦,别提吃的了。你知道这次来玩我包里没带多少东西。
Mark: No sweat, Jingjing. Say, if you don't mind keeping an eye on our stuff here, I'll run up to the shop and get us some snacks.
马克:没事的,京晶。你要是不介意在这看着我们的东西,我可以跑去商店买点零食过来。
Jingjing: You don't have to do that, Mark. I think I can hold off until noon.
京晶:不用了,马克。我想我能挨到中午的。
Mark: Say, what time is it now anyway?
马克:对了,现在几点了?
Jingjing: Um, I put my phone away so it wouldn't get sand on it. Why don't you look at your watch?
京晶:呃,我把手机收起来了怕沾到沙子。要不看下你的手表?
Mark: I would if I were wearing it. But I put that away.
马克:要是我戴着我肯定会看的。但是我也收起来了。
Jingjing: Let me guess, so it wouldn't get sand on it.
京晶:我猜,这样手表也不会进沙子了。
Mark: Ding! And my phone. I'm going to try to go a whole day without looking at my phone.
马克:对极了。还有我的手机,我想尝试一次一整天不看手机。
Jingjing: Oh yeah? Knowing you, you'll last until we put in our lunch order and are waiting for our food. But it was nice to see you reading an actual book on the train.
京晶:哦,是吗?以我对你的了解,你也就能坚持到我们点好午餐然后等着上菜。不过很开心看到你在火车上读的是一本纸质书。
Mark: Yeah, now I can finish it here and get a suntan at the same time.
马克:是的,现在我可以在这里把它看完,同时享受日光美黑。
Jingjing: That reminds me, I'd better put on some sun cream before I start to bake. You want some?
京晶:你提醒我了,我最好晒黑前抹点防晒。你来点吗?
Mark: Nah, I'm down with a little sun. Let me know if I start to turn red.
马克:不了,我乐意晒一点太阳。如果发现我开始晒红了你就告诉我。
Jingjing: Put some on your ears and nose. Those are trouble spots for everyone.
京晶:给你的耳朵和鼻子上抹点防晒。对每个人来说这些部位都容易被晒伤。
Mark: You're right. I could do without the red-neck jokes when I return to work. Toss it over to me when you're done with it.….
马克:你说得对。我回去上班的时就不会被人取笑是“红脖子” 。你涂完防晒霜以后就把它扔给我吧。
Jingjing: Here you go, Mark.
京晶:马克,给。
Mark: Ow! What'd you do that for?
马克:哎呦!你这是干什么?
Jingjing: You told me to give you the sunscreen.
京晶:你让我把防晒霜扔给你的。
Mark: Oh, yeah. I must have fallen asleep.
马克:哦,好像是。那我刚一定是睡着了。
New words : 习语短语
right on the money: 完全正确,一点不差
exactly right, perfect guess
surf 海浪,冲浪
the ocean, near the shore
hold off: wait, avoid something for now 等待、推迟、抵挡住某事
Ding! 猜对了!很对!
suntan日光浴,晒黑,皮肤被晒成棕色
skin turning brown in the sun
sun cream (aka sunscreen): 防晒霜
ointment to prevent sunburn
down with 喜欢/乐意/享受某事或做某事
like something, enjoy having/doing something
trouble spot 薄弱点 故障点 事故多发点
something difficult, a place where there is usually a problem
red-neck 乡下人 乡巴佬(蔑称)或脖子真得发红
an uneducated person from a rural area, which could also be someone who actually has a red neck
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Mark, are you ready to go into town. If we leave now, we could beat the rush at the seafood market.
京晶:马克,你准备好去城里了吗? 如果我们现在就走,我们就能避开海鲜市场的高峰时段了。
Mark: Is it that time already? I must have been sleeping.
马克:这就已经到饭点了吗?那我一定是睡了一觉了。
Jingjing: Yeah, you were snoring too. I could barely hear the ocean!
京晶:是啊,你刚都打呼了呢。我都听不到海浪声了。
Mark: Now I know you're kidding! How about I take a quick dip and then we run to get food? I'll only be a few minutes.
马克:我知道你在开玩笑!那我先快快小游一会泳,然后我们再去吃饭怎么样?只需要一小会。
Jingjing: Ok. Just get your head wet and come back. Otherwise, I'll have to take you up on that offer to make a snack run.
京晶:好吧。那你的头发一沾到水就赶紧回来吧。否则我只能接受你的提议去买点零食吃了。
Mark: Ok, unless I get stung by a jellyfish, I'll be back in a quarter hour or less. Count on it, or I'll pay for all the seafood.
马克:好的,除非我被水母蜇了,我会在一刻钟以后或者更早点儿回来,相信我,不然所有海鲜我买单。
Jingjing: That's a good deal. In 15 minutes, I'll be hungry enough to eat two lobsters.
京晶:这买卖划算。15分钟内,我会饿得能吃下两只龙虾了。
Mark: Then we'll have to buy four. I'm hungry too.…
马克:那我们就得买四个。我也很饿啊。
Jingjing: Well, Mark, that was quick. You ready to go eat now?
京晶:哇哦,马克,你的动作可真快。准备好去吃了吗?
Mark: I couldn't be readier. That swim made me hungry.
马克:一切就绪。这泳游得我更饿了。
Jingjing: Great. Follow my lead and I'll show you the best seafood market.
京晶:好极了。跟我走,带你去最好的海鲜市场。
Mark: Is that the place where you buy the stuff and then walk to a restaurant to have them cook it?
马克:是可以在市场买食材,然后拿到餐厅去加工的地方吗?
Jingjing: Ding ding ding! That's right.
京晶:对对对!就是那样。
Mark: I remember you telling me about that.
马克:我记得你跟我说过。
Jingjing: Great. Let's come back to this beautiful beach after lunch.
京晶:太好了。我们午饭后再回到这个美丽的海滩吧。
New words : 习语短语
dip 游一游,泡一泡,短暂的水浴或游泳
a quick swim
jellyfish n. 水母;[无脊椎] 海蜇
an invertebrate fish with translucent flesh
follow my lead 跟着我,按我说的做
follow me, do as I do, trust me