手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

如何帮助鹦鹉走出情绪的阴霾?

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Most people think that owning a parrot is a walk in the park,

大多数人都认为,养只鹦鹉就等于到公园溜达,
but the truth is they're very, very complex creatures in every way.
但事实是,无论怎么看,鹦鹉都是非常非常复杂的生物。
They're long-lived; they can noisy; they can be destructive; they have special needs; they challenge you.
它们不仅长寿;有时候还会很吵;有时破坏力也很大;需求也很特殊;养鹦鹉会很有挑战性。
Can you say bark like a dog for me please?
可以学一下狗叫吗?
People buy them sometimes for the wrong reasons, or they buy on impulse; and when there's a problem, they call me.
有时人们买鹦鹉的初衷就错了或者是一时冲动买下的,遇到问题的时候,他们就会给我打电话。
My name is Glenn Sorino, and I've been working with birds professionally for 20 years.
我是格伦·索利诺,我从事鸟类研究已经有20年了。
New York City has always been my backyard.
我一直拿纽约市当我的后院。
I had parakeets growing up as a kid.
我小时候养过长尾小鹦鹉。
And I was fascinated.
那时我就迷上了鹦鹉。
Everything about them appealed to me.
它们的一切都很吸引我。
Eventually, I started to research parrots.
所以后来我就开始研究鹦鹉。
Read everything I could get my hands on.
凡是我能找到的资料我都会看。
Spoke to other bird owners, went to bird club meetings and even took a job at a bird store that opened up a lot of doors for me.
还会找其他养鸟的人交流,参加鸟类俱乐部的会议,甚至还去了一家鸟类宠物店打工,那份工作为我打开了很多大门。
People started calling me.
大家就开始找我了。
“Glenn, I'm having a problem, can you help me?
“格伦,我有个问题,你能帮我个忙吗?
I thought I had a male parrot but after 20 years it just laid an egg."
我本来以为我养的是一只雄性鹦鹉,都养了20年了,结果它给我下了个蛋。”
Hello, you name it and the calls started coming in.
你好,尽管招呼,电话就开始打进来了。
People started flocking to me. If I can use that term.
找我的人就像潮水一样朝我涌来,不知道这么形容合不合适。
One thing led to another, and eventually I became the go-to guy, and it developed into a business.
渐渐地,我就成了大家的“救命稻草”,慢慢地就成了一门生意。
On a day to day basis, I provide a variety of services.
我每天提供的服务都是各式各样的。
I'm there whenever they need me. Basically, 24/7.
无论他们什么时候找上门来我都会接。基本上是一天24小时一周7天地干。
Every day is something new. Every day is a challenge. Each bird has a different behavior.
每天都是新的。每天都有挑战。每只鸟都有不同的行为。
They're like people: they have likes, dislikes; they have special needs in the way of diet, lighting, environment.
他们就像人一样,也有好恶,他们对饮食、照明、环境等都有特殊的需求。
3

The larger species can live a human lifespan.

体型较大的鹦鹉的寿命跟人类差不多长。
Owning a bird is literally like having a 5-year-old child that never grows up.
养一只鸟就像养了一个5岁的小孩儿,还永远不会长大,
If you can imagine that.
如果你想象得到的话。
Bird owners often have problems with aggression, health issues, plucking, egg laying issues, mimicking sounds that become incessant.
养鸟的人会经常并且持续不断地遇到鸟儿攻击性很强、健康问题、拔毛、产卵、模仿声音等各种各样的问题。
I have one client who was feeding her bird waffles with maple syrup and pasta with vodka sauce.
我还有一个客户给她的鹦鹉喂的是华夫饼配枫糖浆,意大利面配伏特加酱。
So we had to change the diet, and we had to change it fast.
那我们就得换种喂法,而且还要快速地调整过来。
Every situation presents a challenge.
每种情况都是一个挑战。
My role is to try to help them through all of that.
我的职责就是帮助他们度过那些难关。
If you understand how a bird thinks,
如果你能理解鸟儿的思维方式,
if you understand what a bird is telling you in the way the pupils dilate,
理解它的瞳孔为什么会放大,
the way they fan their tail,
以及它们扇尾巴的方式,
you can figure out what they're trying to tell you.
你就能明白它们想告诉你什么。
I can tell if they're being cautious at first, and I approach them very gently.
如果一开始它们很谨慎的话我是能看出来的,那我就会用非常温柔的方式接近它们。
Again, I speak their language, and I don't think there's anyone else who really does what I do.
重申一下,我会讲它们的语言,而且我觉得除了我应该没人能做到这一点。
You're looking really good aren't you.
你很乖嘛,对吧?
OK, OK Frankie.
好了,好了,弗兰基。
Want to come out?
想出来吗?
I believe that I do have a unique role in the bird world.
我确实觉得,我在鸟类世界中扮演了独特的角色。
I feel the work that I do is very rewarding to me.
我觉得我所做的工作对我是很有价值的。
I love birds.
我喜欢鸟。
I help clients solve problems,
我帮助我的客户解决问题,
and when they call me up and tell me that everything is great, that I really helped them,
他们打电话告诉我一切都很好,我真的帮了他们大忙的时候,
it makes me feel like I'm really making a difference in the world.
我会觉得我真的起到了很重要的作用。
And I love a happy ending, and nothing makes me feel better than knowing that I did a good deed.
我喜欢大团圆式的结局,没有什么比知道我做了件好事更让我感到高兴的了。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
variety [və'raiəti]

想一想再看

n. 多样,种类,杂耍

 
cautious ['kɔ:ʃəs]

想一想再看

adj. 十分小心的,谨慎的

 
environment [in'vaiərənmənt]

想一想再看

n. 环境,外界

 
eventually [i'ventjuəli]

想一想再看

adv. 终于,最后

 
bark [bɑ:k]

想一想再看

v. (狗)吠,咆哮
n. 狗吠,咆哮

 
deed [di:d]

想一想再看

n. 事迹,行为,[法]契约
vt. 立契转让

 
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
aggression [ə'greʃən]

想一想再看

n. 进攻,侵犯,侵害,侵略

联想记忆
complex ['kɔmpleks]

想一想再看

adj. 复杂的,复合的,合成的
n. 复合体

联想记忆
incessant [in'sesnt]

想一想再看

adj. 不断的,无尽的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。