I was a drug dealer, and I got incarcerated.
我过去是贩毒的,后来被关进去了。
When I came out, I was like there's no way I'm gonna get a second chance or get a job.
出来的时候,我以为我不可能有机会改过自新或是找到工作了。
I'm trying to achieve and running is part of my way of getting there.
我正在努力兑现我的目标,跑步就是我实现目标的方式。
This Great Big Story was made possible by Dignity Health.
感谢“尊严健康”对本期《伟大的故事》的大力支持。
Hello, human kindness.
人性之善,你好。
My name is Manuel Navarro, and I am a runner with Back On My Feet.
我是曼努埃尔·纳瓦罗,是“我康复了”计划的成员。
Back On My Feet is an organization that helps people fight homelessness;
“我康复了”是一个专门帮助大家摆脱无家可归这一境遇的组织,
and at this point in my life, the lowest point in my life, that's where I'm at;
而无家可归就是现在的我,正处在人生最低点的我的处境;
and it's helping me be successful and achieve everything I wanna achieve the right way.
是这个组织帮助我成功,帮助我通过正道实现了我想要实现的一切。
My name is Pete Roller, and I'm a volunteer and board member with Back On My Feet.
我是皮特·罗尔,是“我康复了”计划的一名志愿者兼董事会成员。
Manny and I have been running together for nine months.
我和曼尼一起跑了九个月了,
We run three mornings a week at 5:45 in the morning.
我们每次早晨5:45分开始跑,一周跑三次。
Back On My Feet is a national non-profit that works with individuals who are experiencing homelessness or in some stage of recovery
“我康复了”是一个专门面向那些无家可归或正处于某种康复阶段的人的一个全国性的非盈利机构,
and provides a hand up to employment and housing and independence through community and fitness.
通过社区和健身活动为他们提供就业、住房,帮助他们实现自立。
Running is a really nice complement to recovery for many of our members.
我们很多成员都觉得跑步是康复的一个很好的补充。
Running, in particular, provides the physical release.
跑步尤其能给大家提供生理释放的机会。
For a lot of us, we're replacing negativity.
我们很多成员都觉得,自己身上积极的一面都正在取代消极的一面。
Those three mornings a week are the three mornings where they know they can come and be supported by the rest of the group
他们知道,每周的那三个早晨是他们能够过来这边,得到团队其他成员的支持和鼓励,
and really feel good about themselves because whatever comes in between that is gonna be much harder;
继而感觉到心情舒畅的三个早晨,因为其他时间的生活要比那三个早晨艰难得多;
and Back On My Feet provides the link for them to successfully continue that recovery.
“我恢复了”为大家提供了这样的衔接,帮助他们成功走完康复之路。
I know it works because the changes in the individuals, members, volunteers, myself are visible, and they're tangible.
我知道这个计划是有效的,因为我们个人、成员、志愿者、我自己身上都有了明显可见的变化。
For our members, it allows them to feel human again, and I've seen countless members just blossom.
我们的成员感觉这个项目让他们再次有了人样,我也看到无数成员现在的生活已经过得风生水起了。
When they come to the morning circle, they're just another runner.
回到晨跑圈以后他们就只是一个跑步的。
Who are we? Back On My Feet.
我们是谁? “我康复了”会员。
Where we from? San Francisco.
我们来自哪里?旧金山。
How far we gonna run? Forever.
我们要跑多远?永不止步。
I hated running, but now I love running.
以前我很讨厌跑步,现在我却爱上了它。
I mean, just the community; they make you feel very welcome.
我是说,因为大家;会让你觉得你很受欢迎。
They're really there to help you, to embrace you
大家真的会向你伸出援手,会拥抱你;
and to support the fact that you're trying to be successful in life and trying to do something right.
你想成功,想做正确的事他们都会支持你。
And the connection that me and Pete have is amazing.
我和皮特的关系非常好。
I never had real friends before.
以前我从没有过真正的朋友。
In the drug business you don't trust anybody, and here I am trusting.
搞贩毒你是不能相信任何人的,但现在我会信任大家了。
He's always telling me how I could do better and pushing me to do better
他一直跟我说我还能进步,也会督促我进步,
and that's good because he's there to support me, and I think we all deserve a second chance, and I'm taking it.
我感觉这样子挺好的,因为他会支持我,我觉得我们都值得拥有改过自新的机会,我现在就在努力抓住这个机会。