In the heart of Watts, a minority neighborhood in south Los Angeles, volunteers gathered on a recent Sunday to beautify an elementary school.
在沃茨中心,它是洛杉矶南部一个少数人种社区,在最近的一个周日,志愿者聚集起来让小学更美。
There is poverty in this neighborhood but local residents and kids and those from other neighborhoods pitch in.
这个社区很穷,但当地民众,孩子们和来自其他社区的人们前来帮助。
There are challenges definitely, but the kids are amazing,
肯定是有挑战的,但这些孩子太棒了,
and the teachers work really hard you know, to help their kids out and do as much as they can.
老师们非常努力地去帮助孩子们,尽他们最大的努力。
At Lovelia Flournoy Elementary School, they are planting flowers and shrubs,
在罗维拉弗卢努瓦小学,他们正在种植花朵和灌木,
creating a teachers' lounge, collecting food for local families with the adults leading by example.
创建老师休息室,为当地家庭采集食物,成年人做出了榜样。
Make sure that the kids understand hard work and they see that,
确保孩子们懂得这些努力,看到这些变化,
you know making the campus beautiful, not only just for them but for the next generation.
让校园变漂亮,不仅仅是对他们,更是对下一代。
More than 2,000 events like this are held each year by the organization Big Sunday.
像这样的活动每年会举办两千多次,都是由“大星期日”组织举办的。
People think we're a community service organization, we're not, we're a community building organization.
人们认为我们是社区服务组织,我们不是,我们是社区建造组织。
Our mission is to connect people through helping. Today the volunteers are improving this campus.
我们的目标是通过帮助把人们连接起来,今天志愿者正在改善校园。
We're just beautifying the school, and the kids are enjoying it and having fun. Working side by side with new-found friends.
我们正在让学校变得更美,孩子们非常喜欢,他们度过了美好时光,和新朋友们一起工作。
This gives me an opportunity to widen my experience and knowledge of different people and different lifestyles.
这让我有机会来扩宽经验,认识不同的人,了解不同的生活方式。
Finding shared interests. We live in very divisive times, very fraught times. But I think when we turn off the TV,
寻找共同的兴趣,我们生活在分歧的时代,充满焦虑的时代,但我认为当我们关掉电视,
we turn off the internet, put down the newspaper for a minute, most people want to focus on what we share,
我们关掉网络,暂时放下报纸,多数人关注的是我们所分享的,
what we have in common, and how we can make our world a better place together.
我们拥有的共同点,我们如何让这个世界变得更加美好。
Getting involved, helping and making their community a better place.
参与进来,帮助他们的社区,让它变成一个更好的地方。
Mike O'Sullivan VOA news, Los Angeles
麦克·奥沙利文,VOA新闻洛杉矶报道