From less to more, I worked him up to considerable irritation;
我得寸进尺,惹得他很恼火,
then, after he had retired, in dudgeon, quite to the other end of the room,
随后趁他怒悻悻地退到屋子另一头的时候,
I got up, and saying, "I wish you good-night, sir,"
站起来说了声“祝你晚安,先生,”
in my natural and wonted respectful manner, I slipped out by the side-door and got away.
像往常那样自自然然、恭恭敬敬地,随后便溜出边门走掉了。
The system thus entered on, I pursued during the whole season of probation; and with the best success.
这方式开了一个头,我便在整个观察期坚持下来了,而且大获成功。
He was kept, to be sure, rather cross and crusty;
当然他悻悻然有些发火,
but on the whole I could see he was excellently entertained,
但总的说来,我见他心情挺不错,
and that a lamb-like submission and turtle-dove sensibility,
而绵羊般的顺从,斑鸠似的多情,
while fostering his despotism more, would have pleased his judgment,
倒反而既会助长他的专横,又不能象现在这样取一悦他的理智,
satisfied his common-sense, and even suited his taste less.
满足他的常识,甚至投合他的趣味。