He rose and came towards me, and I saw his face all kindled,
他立起身,向我走来,我见他满脸都燃烧着热情的火焰,
and his full falcon-eye flashing, and tenderness and passion in every lineament.
圆圆的鹰眼闪闪发光,脸上充溢着温柔与激情。
I quailed momentarily -- then I rallied.
我一时有些畏缩--但随后便振作起来了。
Soft scene, daring demonstration, I would not have; and I stood in peril of both:
柔情蜜意的场面,大胆露骨的表示,我都不希望发生。但两种危险我都面临着。
a weapon of defence must be prepared -- I whetted my tongue:
我必须准备好防患的武器--我磨尖了舌头,
as he reached me, I asked with asperity, "whom he was going to marry now?"
待他一走近我,便厉声问道,他现在要跟谁结婚呢?
"That was a strange question to be put by his darling Jane."
“我的宝贝简提出了这么个怪问题。”
"Indeed! I considered it a very natural and necessary one: he had talked of his future wife dying with him.
“真的!我以为这是个很自然很必要的问题,他已经谈起未来的妻子同他一起死,
What did he mean by such a pagan idea?
他这个异教徒念头是什么意思?
I had no intention of dying with him -- he might depend on that."
我可不想与他一起死--他尽可放心。”
"Oh, all he longed, all he prayed for, was that I might live with him! Death was not for such as I."
“呵,他所向往,他所祈祷的是你与他一块儿活!死亡不是属于像你这样的人。”
"Indeed it was: I had as good a right to die when my time came as he had:
“自然也是属于我的,我跟他一样,时候一到,照样有权去死。
but I should bide that time, and not be hurried away in a suttee."
但我要等到寿终正寝,而不是自焚殉夫,匆匆了此一生。”
"Would I forgive him for the selfish idea, and prove my pardon by a reconciling kiss?"
“你能宽恕他这种自私的想法,给他一个吻,表示原谅与和解吗?”
"No: I would rather be excused."
“不,我宁可免了。”