Fadell assumed that he was being hired to work on a personal digital assistant, some successor to the Newton.
法德尔原以为他是去做PDA(个人数字助理),也许是牛顿(苹果之前尝试研发的PDA)的后继型号。
But when he met with Rubinstein, the topic quickly turned to iTunes, which had been out for three months.
但是当他和鲁宾斯坦见面时,话题很快就转向了已经上市3个月的iTunes。
"We've been trying to hook up the existing MP3 players to iTunes and they've been horrible, absolutely horrible," Rubinstein told him.
鲁宾斯坦告诉他:“我们一直在努力将市场上现有的MP3播放器连接到iTunes上,但是它们太糟糕了,非常糟糕。
"We think we should make our own version."
我们认为我们应该做一个自己的播放器。”
Fadell was thrilled. "I was passionate about music.
法德尔很兴奋:“我非常热爱音乐。
I was trying to do some of that at RealNetworks, and I was pitching an MP3 player to Palm."
我以前在里尔网络时就一直想尝试做些和音乐相关的工作,而且我还和Palm公司提过一个MP3播放器的方案。”
He agreed to come aboard, at least as a consultant.
他同意加入团队,至少以顾问的形式参与。
After a few weeks Rubinstein insisted that if he was to lead the team, he had to become a full-time Apple employee.
几周之后,鲁宾斯坦坚持说,如果法德尔要领导这个团队,那么他必须要成为全职的苹果公司员工。
But Fadell resisted; he liked his freedom. Rubinstein was furious at what he considered Fadell's whining.
但是法德尔很抗拒,他喜欢自由的状态。鲁宾斯坦认为法德尔在发牢骚,所以感到很愤怒。
"This is one of those life decisions," he told Fadell. "You'll never regret it."
他告诉法德尔:“这是能改变你一生的决定,你永远都不会后悔的。”