Mrs. Fairfax surprised me by looking out of the window with a sad countenance,
使我吃惊的是,费尔法克斯太太神色忧伤地望着窗外,
and saying gravely, "Miss Eyre, will you come to breakfast?"
十分严肃地说:“爱小姐,请来用早餐好吗?”
During the meal she was quiet and cool: but I could not undeceive her then.
吃饭时她冷冷地一声不吭:但那时我无法替她解开疑团。
I must wait for my master to give explanations; and so must she.
我得等我主人来解释,所以她也只好等待了。
I ate what I could, and then I hastened upstairs. I met Adèle leaving the schoolroom.
我勉强吃了一点,便匆勿上了楼,碰见阿黛勒正离开读书室。
"Where are you going? It is time for lessons."
“你上哪儿去呀?上课的时间到了。”
"Mr. Rochester has sent me away to the nursery."
“罗切斯特先生已经打发我到育儿室去了。”
"Where is he?"
“他在哪儿?”
"In there," pointing to the apartment she had left; and I went in, and there he stood.
“在那儿呢,”她指了指她刚离开的房间。我走进那里,原来他就站在里面。
"Come and bid me good-morning," said he.
“来,对我说声早安,”他说。
I gladly advanced; and it was not merely a cold word now,
我愉快地走上前。这回我所遇到的,不光是一句冷冰冰的话,
or even a shake of the hand that I received, but an embrace and a kiss.
或者是握一握手而已,而是拥抱和接吻。
It seemed natural: it seemed genial to be so well loved, so caressed by him.
他那么爱我,抚慰我,显得既亲切又自然。