Depression isn't always obvious or easy to spy.
抑郁症并非总是很明显或容易发现的。
Social media and Hollywood often depicted in its most serious stage with raging mood swings and intense hopelessness.
社交网络和好莱坞总是用情绪不稳定和强烈的绝望感来描述抑郁症最严重的阶段。
But depression can range from mild to severe and it has a habit of sneaking up on us in our everyday routines.
但是抑郁症也分轻重缓急,并且抑郁症习惯于潜伏在我们的日常生活中。
This is why many people often struggle with it silently when the symptoms aren't always so clear-cut.
所以很多人都在默默地和抑郁症斗争,因为有时这些症状并不明显。
Here are six signs you may have depression and not even know it.
以下是你可能患有抑郁症,甚至自己都没察觉到的6种迹象。
1. You keep yourself crazy busy.
1. 让自己超级忙。
The older we get, the more natural it is for our schedules to fill up with duties to fulfill and chores to complete.
随着年龄的增长,我们的计划表里自然填满了要完成的任务和要做的活。
But when you have depression, you are more likely to drown yourself in work.
但当你患有抑郁症时,你更有可能让自己沉溺在工作中。
A study published in the journal PLoS ONE shows that there is a correlation between workaholism and
PLoS ONE中刊登的一篇研究表明工作成瘾和
symptoms of psychiatric disorders such as anxiety and depression.
精神障碍症状,如焦虑症和抑郁症,之间相互关联。
Medical doctor Soomi Lee-Samuel at Timberline Knolls, a residential treatment center in Illinois
伊利诺斯州住宅式治疗中心Timberline Knolls的医师Soomi Lee-Samuel表示
states that keeping busy might be a way for people to ignore or avoid painful issues that may be contributing to or triggering their depression.
忙碌可能是人们忽略或避免可能导致抑郁症痛苦问题的一种方式。
Your boss might be pleased with your work ethic
你的老板可能欣赏你的工作态度
and your kitchen counter might be spic-and-span but we encourage you to pay close attention to your heart.
你家的厨房柜台可能很干净,但我们鼓励大家密切注意自己的心情。
If it feels heavier than usual, please don't hesitate to reach out to others for help
如果感觉心情比平常更加沉重,请不要犹豫寻求他人帮助。
2. You're hurting everywhere.
2. 哪哪都疼。
According to the Mayo Clinic, pain and depression are closely linked and related to one another.
梅奥医学中心表示,疼痛和抑郁症彼此紧密相连。
In many people, depression can cause unexplained physical symptoms such as back pain and headaches.
对很多人而言,抑郁症可以导致无法解释的身体症状,如背疼和头疼。
The reverse also holds true in which chronic pain can lead to depression along with various other problems
反之亦然,慢性疼痛也可以导致抑郁伴随的各种其他问题
such as difficulty sleeping, stress and low self-esteem due to legal, work or financial issues.
比如和法律、工作和财务问题有关的失眠、压力和低自尊。
We recommend that you talk to your doctor and seek the right treatment that works for you,
我们建议大家和医生谈谈并寻求适合你的治疗方法,
whether it means taking medication, using talk therapy, attending pain rehabilitation programs or practicing stress reduction techniques.
不论这意味着服药、进行对话疗法、参加疼痛康复项目还是运用减压技巧。
3. You've either gained or lost a lot of weight.
3. 体重要么增加要么下降。
Depression can make you swing in extremes in one direction or the other.
抑郁症可以让你走向某一方向的极端。
If you notice a difference in your appetite whether it's gone down or went up
如果你注意到自己食欲下降或变好了
it might have to do with the emotional pain you're feeling.
这可能和你的情感痛苦有关。
Some people don't feel like eating when they're down and dejected whereas others who usually eat healthy
一些人在心情不好沮丧的时候不想吃东西,而其他那些通常吃健康饮食的人
might have a craving for junk food and take-out as they try to fill up the void in their lives.
可能会沉溺于垃圾食品和外卖,因为他们想要借此弥补生活的空虚。
We recommend that you try healthy comfort food recipes to keep yourself nourished with the essential nutrients your body needs during stressful times.
我们建议大家在焦虑期间尝试健康饮食,用身体所需的必需营养素给自己补充营养。
4. You can't seem to make up your mind.
4. 似乎做不了决定。
Clinical psychologist Elizabeth Lombardo, author of Better than Perfect
临床心理学家、《Better than Perfect》的作者Elizabeth Lombardo表示
states that psychologically when we're depressed, we lose gray matter that affects the parts of our brains that facilitates our motivation and decision-making.
在心理学上,当我们抑郁时,我们会失去影响部分大脑的灰质,而这些受影响的大脑部分原本可以促进我们的积极性和决策性。
Even the smallest decisions we make on a daily basis like choosing coffee or tea can be a struggle when we lack focus and determination.
当我们缺乏专注和决心时,即便是日常生活中最小的决定,像是挑选一杯咖啡或茶,都会变得非常困难。
The next time you have a hard time making a choice,
下次你无法做决定时,
try to go with your first instinct and know that you still have the power to turn things around if you feel like you made the wrong decision.
相信第一直觉并认识到,如果你感觉做了错误的决定,你仍有让事情出现转机的能力。
5. You're glued to your phone or computer.
5. 盯着手机或电脑不放。
Simon Rego associate professor of clinical psychiatry and director of psychology training at Montefiore Medical Center
蒙蒂菲奥里医疗中心心理训练主任兼临床精神病学副教授Simon Rego表示
states that people with depression often go on a quest for a short-term boost as a common coping mechanism
抑郁症患者经常追求一种短期振奋,这是一种普遍的应付机制
whether that means gambling, facebooking or shopping.
比如赌博、上脸书或是购物。
Virtual social interactions are sought more than real ones for those who feel depressed.
对于那些感觉抑郁的人而言,虚拟社交互动比现实中的社交更真实。
In fact, although Internet addiction and depression are separate diagnoses, they often overlap with one another.
事实上,虽然网络成瘾和抑郁症是独立诊断的,但它们通常相互重叠。
The next time you're glued to your Instagram or splurged on many pairs of designer shoes
下次你在沉迷Instagram或是买名牌鞋时,
we encourage you to reflect and ask yourself if you're okay.
我们鼓励大家反思一下并问问自己“你还好么”。
6. The slightest things set you off.
6. 一点小事都会让你暴跳如雷。
Irritability is a common sign that most people overlook.
易怒是大部分人都会忽视的常见迹象。
If you find that you're more impatient when you're waiting in line at the grocery store
如果发现在商店排队的你变得更加没有耐心
or get agitated when the light turns red at stoplights, there may be more going on underneath your size and frustration.
或是等红灯时变得躁动时,请注意隐藏在沮丧背后的情绪。
Tyrannous is also an indicator that you may have depression. Small issues can feel enormous when you're depressed.
暴虐也是你可能患有抑郁症的迹象。抑郁时,小问题也会被放大。
You may notice that you're crying more easily than usual or have trouble controlling your tears.
你或许注意到了你比往常更容易流眼泪或是更加难以控制眼泪。
Depression has an odd way of overwhelming us
抑郁症会以一种奇怪的方式淹没我们
and instead of repressing our feelings, we should let them out naturally and learn not to be so hard on ourselves.
我们不能压抑自己的情感,相反我们应该自然释放它们并学着不要为难自己。