Holmes pushed open the door of the private bar and ordered two glasses of beer from the ruddy-faced, white-aproned landlord.
福尔摩斯推开这家私人酒店的门,从红光满面、系着白围裙的老板那里要了两杯啤酒。
"Your beer should be excellent if it is as good as your geese," said he.
"如果你的啤酒能象你的鹅一样出色,那将是最上等的啤酒了。"他说道。
"My geese!" The man seemed surprised.
"我的鹅!"这个人好象很吃惊。
"Yes. I was speaking only half an hour ago to Mr. Henry Baker, who was a member of your goose club."
"是的,仅在半小时以前我刚和你们俱乐部的会员亨利·贝克先生谈过。"
"Ah! yes, I see. But you see, sir, them's not our geese." "Indeed! Whose, then?"
"啊,我明白了。可是你知道吗,先生,那些鹅不是我们的!""真的!那么,是谁的呢?"
"Well, I got the two dozen from a salesman in Covent Garden."
"噢,我从考文特园一个推销员那里买了二十四只。"
"Indeed? I know some of them. Which was it?" "Breckinridge is his name."
"真的?我认识他们当中几个人,是哪一个呢?""他的名字叫布莱肯里奇。"
"Ah! I don't know him. Well, here's your good health, landlord, and prosperity to your house. Good-night."
"噢,我不认识他,好吧,老板,祝你身体健康,生意兴隆。再见。"
"Now for Mr. Breckinridge," he continued, buttoning up his coat as we came out into the frosty air.
"现在去找布莱肯里奇,"我们离开酒店走进寒冷的空气中。他一边扣着外衣,一边继续往下说,
"Remember, Watson, that though we have so homely a thing as a goose at one end of this chain,
"记住,华生,虽然在这条锁链的一端,我们现在只找到象鹅这样家常的东西,
we have at the other a man who will certainly get seven years' penal servitude unless we can establish his innocence.
但在另一端,我们却会找到一个肯定将被判处七年徒刑的人,除非我们能够证明他是无罪的;
It is possible that our inquiry may but confirm his guilt;
可是,很可能我们的调查也许只能证明他有罪;
but, in any case, we have a line of investigation which has been missed by the police,
无论如何,有一条被警察忽略了的调查线索
and which a singular chance has placed in our hands.
由于一种特别机缘落入我们的手中。
Let us follow it out to the bitter end. Faces to the south, then, and quick march!"
让我们顺着这条线索追查下去。现在朝南快步前进!"