At last I saw Georgiana off; but now it was Eliza's turn to request me to stay another week.
我终于送别了乔治亚娜;可是现在却轮到了伊丽莎要求我再呆一周了。
Her plans required all her time and attention, she said; she was about to depart for some unknown bourne;
她说她的计划需要她全力以赴,因为就要动身去某个未知的目的地了,
and all day long she stayed in her own room, her door bolted within,
她成天闩了门呆在房间里,
filling trunks, emptying drawers, burning papers, and holding no communication with any one.
装箱子,理一抽一屉,烧文件,同谁都不来往。
She wished me to look after the house, to see callers, and answer notes of condolence.
她希望我替她看管房子,接待来客,回复唁函。
One morning she told me I was at liberty.
一天早晨她告诉我没有我的事了。
"And," she added, "I am obliged to you for your valuable services and discreet conduct!
“而且,”她补充道,“我感激你宝贵的帮助和周到的办事。
There is some difference between living with such an one as you and with Georgiana:
跟你共处和跟乔治亚娜共处,有所不同:
you perform your own part in life and burden no one.
你在生活中尽自己的责任,而不成为别人的负担。
To-morrow," she continued, "I set out for the Continent.
明天,”她继续说,“我要动身去大陆。
I shall take up my abode in a religious house near Lisle -- a nunnery you would call it;
我会在里斯尔附近一家寺院找到栖身之所--你会称它为修道院,
there I shall be quiet and unmolested.
在那里我会安静度日,不受干扰。
I shall devote myself for a time to the examination of the Roman Catholic dogmas,
我会暂时致力于考察罗马天主教信条,
and to a careful study of the workings of their system:
并细心研究它体制的运转:
if I find it to be, as I half suspect it is,
我虽然半信半疑,
the one best calculated to ensure the doing of all things decently and in order,
但要是发现它最适宜于使一切事情办得公平合理,井井有条,
I shall embrace the tenets of Rome and probably take the veil."
那我会皈依罗马教,很可能还会去当修女。”