She made an effort to alter her position, but failed:
她挣扎着要改变一下她的位置,但没有成功。
her face changed; she seemed to experience some inward sensation -- the precursor, perhaps, of the last pang.
她的脸变了形。她似乎经历着某种内心的冲动--也许是最后一阵痛苦的先兆。
"Well, I must get it over. Eternity is before me: I had better tell her.
“唉,我一定要恢复过来。永恒就在前头,我还是告诉她好。
Go to my dressing-case, open it, and take out a letter you will see there."
走到我化妆盒跟前去,打开它,把你看到的一封信拿出来。”
I obeyed her directions. "Read the letter," she said.
我听从她的吩咐。“把信读一读,”她说。
It was short, and thus conceived:
这封信很短,内中写道:
"Madam, will you have the goodness to send me the address of my niece, Jane Eyre, and to tell me how she is?
“夫人:烦请惠寄我侄女简·爱的地址,并告知其近况。
It is my intention to write shortly and desire her to come to me at Madeira.
我欲立即去信,盼她来马德里我处。
Providence has blessed my endeavours to secure a competency;
皇天不负有心之人,目前我家境富裕。
and as I am unmarried and childless, I wish to adopt her during my life,
我未娶无后,甚望有生之年将她收为养女,
and bequeath her at my death whatever I may have to leave.
并在死后将全部财产馈赠予她。
I am, Madam, etc. , etc. JOHN EYRE, Madeira."
顺致敬意。约翰·爱谨启于马德里。”