"I don't understand it," Clara Dunn said. "Why did Ben kill Alan Maurie?"
克拉拉·邓恩说:“我不明白,本为什么要杀艾伦·毛里?”
We were at Clara Dunn's house the next day. The police had come to the house and arrested Ben.
第二天我们去了克拉拉·邓恩的家。警察已经来到这所房子并逮捕了本。
We went to see Professor Dunn to let her know that the murderer had been caught and that the police no longer suspected her.
我们去找邓恩教授,让她知道凶手已经被抓获,警察也不再怀疑她了。
Uncle Jeff explained, "Ben is a brilliant student, but he made a big mistake.
杰夫叔叔解释说:“本是个聪明的学生,但他犯了一个大错误。
He plagiarized his thesis. He wanted the scholarship to Berkeley very badly,
他剽窃别人的论文。他急切想拿到伯克利的奖学金,
so badly that he stole another student's work and called it his own.
他偷了另一个学生的作业,并称之为自己的。
He took material from an old thesis, one written by a student who had graduated years ago.
论文的材料是从多年前毕业的一名学生的论文中提取的。
As soon as I looked at Ben's thesis, I knew what he had done."
我一看本的论文就知道。”
"How did you know?" Professor Dunn asked.
“你怎么知道的?”邓恩教授问道。
"The student whose work he stole was one of my former students," he said.
“他偷作品的那个人是我以前的学生,”他说。
"I recognized the research right away. And, unfortunately, so did Dean Maurie.
我马上就认出了这项研究。不幸的是,毛里院长也是。
The dean threatened to expose Ben, to tell the university that he had cheated.
院长威胁要揭发本,告诉学校他作弊了。
Maybe he tried to blackmail Ben, too.
也许他也想勒索本。