她闭了嘴。
"You might have spared yourself the trouble of delivering that tirade," answered Georgiana.
“你还是少费心思发表长篇大论了,”乔治亚娜回答说。
Everybody knows you are the most selfish, heartless creature in existence.
谁都知道你是世上最自私、最狠心的家伙。
And I know your spiteful hatred towards me.
我明白你对我有刻骨仇恨。
I have had a specimen of it before in the trick you played me about Lord Edwin Vere.
我掌握真凭实据。你在埃德温。维尔勋爵的事情上,对我耍了花招。
You could not bear me to be raised above you, to have a title, to be received into circles where you dare not show your face,
你不能容忍我爬得比你高,获得贵族爵位,被你连面都不敢露的社交圈子所接纳,
and so you acted the spy and informer, and ruined my prospects for ever.
因此你暗中监视,进行密告,永远毁了我的前程。
Georgiana took out her handkerchief and blew her nose for an hour afterwards.
乔治亚娜掏出手帕,擤了一小时鼻子。
Eliza sat cold, impassable, and assiduously industrious.
伊丽莎冷冷地坐着,无动于衷,顾自忙着自己的活儿。
True, generous feeling is made small account of by some,
确实,宽厚的感情不被有些人所重视。
but here were two natures rendered, the one intolerably acrid, the other despicably savourless for the want of it.
而这儿的两种性格,却因为少了它,一种刻薄得叫人难以容忍,而另一种枯燥乏味得可鄙。
Feeling without judgment is a washy draught indeed,
没有理智的感情固然淡而无味,
but judgment untempered by feeling is too bitter and husky a morsel for human deglutition.
但缺乏感情的理智也太苦涩粗糙,叫人难以下咽。
It was a wet and windy afternoon. Georgiana had fallen asleep on the sofa over the perusal of a novel.
一个风雨交加的下午。乔治亚娜看着一部小说,便倒在沙发上睡着了。
Eliza was gone to attend a saint's-day service at the new church -- for in matters of religion she was a rigid formalist.
伊丽莎已经去新教堂参加万圣节仪式,因为在宗教方面,她十分看重形式。
No weather ever prevented the punctual discharge of what she considered her devotional duties.
风雨无阻,按时履行着心中虔诚的义务。