Take one day, share it into sections, to each section apportion its task,
以一天为例,你就把它分成几份,每份钟规定好任务,
leave no stray unemployed quarters of an hour, ten minutes, five minutes -- include all.
全部时间都包括在内,不留一刻钟、十分钟、五分钟的零星空闲时间。
Do each piece of business in its turn with method, with rigid regularity.
干每一件事都应当井然有序,有条不紊。
The day will close almost before you are aware it has begun,
这样,一天的日子,你几乎没有觉察它开始,就已经结束了
and you are indebted to no one for helping you to get rid of one vacant moment.
你就不欠谁的情,帮你消磨片刻空闲。
You have had to seek no one's company, conversation, sympathy, forbearance.
你不必找人作伴和交谈,不必请求别人的同情和忍耐。
you have lived, in short, as an independent being ought to do.
总之,你像一个独立的人该生活的那样生活。
Take this advice. The first and last I shall offer you.
听从我的劝告吧,我给你的第一个,也是最后一个忠告。
Then you will not want me or any one else, happen what may.
那样,无论出什么事,你就不需要我,也不需要别人了。
Neglect it -- go on as heretofore, craving, whining, and idling
要是你置之不理,一意孤行,还是那样想入非非,叽叽咕咕,懒懒散散,
and suffer the results of your idiocy, however bad and insuperable they may be.
你就得吞下你愚蠢行为的苦果,不管怎么糟糕,怎么难受。
I tell you this plainly. And listen.
我要明白告诉你。你好好听着。
For though I shall no more repeat what I am now about to say, I shall steadily act on it.
尽管我不会再重复我要说的话,但我会坚定不移地去做。
After my mother's death, I wash my hands of you.
母亲一死,你的事我就撒手不管了。
From the day her coffin is carried to the vault in Gateshead Church,
从她的棺材抬进盖茨黑德教堂墓地那天起,
you and I will be as separate as if we had never known each other.
你我便彼此分手,仿佛从来就是陌路人。
You need not think that because we chanced to be born of the same parents,
你不要以为我们碰巧摊着同一个爹娘,
I shall suffer you to fasten me down by even the feeblest claim.
我会让你以丝毫站不住脚的理由拖累我。
I can tell you this -- if the whole human race, ourselves excepted, were swept away,
我可以告诉你--就是除了你我,整个人类毁灭了,
and we two stood alone on the earth, I would leave you in the old world, and betake myself to the new.
独有我们两人站在地球上,我也会让你留在旧世界,自己奔往新世界去。