He is quite a Gibson.
一个十足的吉卜森家的人。
Oh, I wish he would cease tormenting me with letters for money?
呵,但愿他不要老是写信讨钱来折磨我!
I have no more money to give him. We are getting poor.
我已经没有钱可以给他了。我们穷了。
I must send away half the servants and shut up part of the house, or let it off.
我得打发掉一半的佣人,关掉部分房子,或者租出去。
I can never submit to do that -- yet how are we to get on?
我从来不忍心这么做--可是日子怎么过呢?
Two-thirds of my income goes in paying the interest of mortgages.
我三分之二的收入都付了抵押的利息。
John gambles dreadfully, and always loses -- poor boy!
约翰赌得厉害,又总是输--可怜的孩子!
He is beset by sharpers. John is sunk and degraded
他陷进了赌棍窝里。约翰名誉扫地,完全堕落了。
His look is frightful. I feel ashamed for him when I see him.
他的样子很可怕。我见到他就为他感到丢脸。
She was getting much excited.
她变得十分激动。
"I think I had better leave her now," said I to Bessie, who stood on the other side of the bed.
“我想现在还是离开她好。”我对站在床另一边的贝茜说。
Perhaps you had, Miss, but she often talks in this way towards night -- in the morning she is calmer. I rose.
也许是这样,小姐,不过晚上她老是这么说话的--早上比较镇静。我立起身来。
"Stop!" exclaimed Mrs. Reed, there is another thing I wished to say.
“站住!”里德太太叫道。还有件事我要同你说。
He threatens me -- he continually threatens me with his own death, or mine.
他威胁我--不断地用他的死或我的死来威胁我。
And I dream sometimes that I see him laid out with a great wound in his throat, or with a swollen and blackened face.
有时我梦见他躺着,喉咙上一个大窟隆,或者一脸鼻青眼肿。
I am come to a strange pass. I have heavy troubles. What is to be done?
我已经闯入了一个奇怪的关口。困难重重。该怎么办呢?
How is the money to be had?
钱从哪儿来?