"If," said I, "you would just step upstairs and tell her I am come, I should be much obliged to you."
“如果,”我说,“你肯上楼去同她说一声我来了,我会非常感激的。”
Georgiana almost started, and she opened her blue eyes wild and wide.
乔治亚娜几乎惊跳了起来,一双蓝眼睛睁得大大的。
"I know she had a particular wish to see me," I added,
“我知道她特别想看看我,”我补充了一句,
"and I would not defer attending to her desire longer than is absolutely necessary."
“除非万不得已,我可不愿意迟迟不满足她的愿望。”
"Mama dislikes being disturbed in an evening," remarked Eliza.
“妈妈不喜欢晚上打搅她”,伊丽莎说。
I soon rose, quietly took off my bonnet and gloves, uninvited,
我不待邀请便立即顾自站了起来,默默地脱去帽子和手套,
and said I would just step out to Bessie who was, I dared say, in the kitchen,
说是要上贝茜那儿去--我猜想贝茜一定在厨房里,
and ask her to ascertain whether Mrs. Reed was disposed to receive me or not tonight.
叫她问问明白里德太太今晚是否有意接待我。
I went, and having found Bessie and despatched her on my errand, I proceeded to take further measures.
我去找到了贝茜,派她去干这件差事,并打算进一步采取措施。
It had heretofore been my habit always to shrink from arrogance.
我向来有个习惯,一遇上别人高傲狂妄,自己便退缩不前。
Received as I had been to-day, I should, a year ago, have resolved to quit Gateshead the very next morning.
她们今天这么待我,要是在一年之前,我会决定明天早晨就离开盖茨黑德。
Now, it was disclosed to me all at once that that would be a foolish plan.
而此刻,我顿时明白那是个愚蠢的念头。
I had taken a journey of a hundred miles to see my aunt, and I must stay with her till she was better -- or dead.
我长途跋涉一百英里来看舅妈,我得守着她,直到她好转,或者去世。
As to her daughters' pride or folly, I must put it on one side, make myself independent of it.
至于她女儿的自傲或愚蠢,我应当置之度外,不受干扰。
So I addressed the housekeeper, asked her to show me a room, told her I should probably be a visitor here for a week or two,
于是我同管家去打交道,让她找个房间,告诉她我要在这儿作客,可能呆上一周两周,
had my trunk conveyed to my chamber, and followed it thither myself.
让她把我的箱子搬到房间里去。我也跟着去那里。
I met Bessie on the landing.
在楼梯口碰上了贝茜。
"Missis is awake," said she, "I have told her you are here. Come and let us see if she will know you."
“夫人醒着呢,”她说,“我已经告诉她你来了。来,看看她还认不认得你。”