But it's not like it's rainbows and butterflies either, in the 90s the country was so divided it almost separated.
但情况并非总是一帆风顺,90年代,这个国家也出现了严重的分歧,还差点分裂。
And many Canadians aren't on board with this multiculturalism.
而且,许多加拿大人都不接受这种多元文化主义。
There's even a poll showing that a third of Canadians actually agree with Trump's Muslim ban.
甚至还有一项调查显示,实际上,有三分之一的加拿大人都同意特朗普的禁穆令。
How do you govern for all Canadians including those?
那你是如何管理包括那群人在内的所有加拿大人的呢?
For me I try to bring it down to the actual people and the individuals.
我试着把问题归结到个人身上。
I mean, there's two ways to do it.
具体有两种方法。
The first one is that, on individuals, and you ask if they really,
第一种是,针对个人的,你问他们,他们是不是真的想那么做,
when they think about that, they're really thinking about the shop keeper down the street who they see every day
认真去想的时候,他们真正关心的其实是街那头他们天天都会看见的店铺老板,
and goes, No. No. No. No. That guy is great, but, you know, it's just in general.
他们会觉得,“不,不,不,不,那哥们儿是很好,只是,你懂的,这只是一般情况。”
And you realize that it's a nebulous fear that has latched onto an idea, but it's not actually tangible.
你会发现,这是紧紧地依附在某种想法上的一种模糊的恐惧,但你是看不见摸不着的。
A great example of that was the issue of Quebec's Charte des Valeurs. Right?
一个很好的例子就是魁北克省的《价值观宪章》问题。对吧?
This was a highly controversial but popular bill recently proposed in Quebec.
魁北克最近提出的这项法案一方面极具争议,另一方面又颇受欢迎。
It would have banned state employes from wearing religious symbols while working.
法案内容禁止大家在政府工作时佩戴含宗教色彩的物件。
When people actually realized what that would mean was, for example, a young woman would have to choose between her job and her faith,
当人们真正意识到这一规定将意味着诸如一位年轻女士必须在她的工作和信仰之间作出选择之类的含义时,
people said, "Well, no. No. No. That's not what we wanted at all, and that's not what we need at all."
大家的反应是,“嗯,不不不,这压根儿不是我们想要的法案,也压根儿不是我们需要的法案。”
So I think a lot of what we need to do is really unpack the consequences of things,
所以我觉得,我们要做的,很大程度上是剖析问题的后果,
I mean a society that tells a woman what she has to wear on her head, in the case of a veil or a niqab, is not a free society,
我的意思是,一个会告诉其女性成员她必须在头上戴什么的社会,这里指的是面纱,算不上自由的社会,
but then how is a society that tells a woman what she can't wear on her head or on her face?
那会告诉其女性成员她不能在头上或脸上戴什么的社会呢?
How is that a free society?
那样的社会又算哪门子自由社会呢?
And it's not an easy question, it's not an easy answer,
这个问题并不简单,要回答也不容易,
the challenge is politics doesn't work in, you know, thoughtful, reasonable conversations anymore.
它难就难在政治的运作形式已经不再是深思熟虑的合理对话了,
It happens in soundbites, in shouted slogans, in bumper stickers, in, you know, ten second video clips,
现在的政治在各种言论,在呐喊的标语,在保险杠贴纸,以及网络短视频里,
and how we take those tools that we have to use and tie them to reasonable conversations is the big challenge that politics is defined by now.
现在的政治面临的一个重大挑战就是我们如何将手上的这些工具利用起来,并将其与合理的对话联系起来。
So even though we love to dream about running away to Canada, these problems seem pretty familiar.
也就是说,虽然我们喜欢做逃去加拿大这样的梦,这些问题其实还是些老问题。
And Canada has its own issues.
而且,加拿大也有自己的问题。
We're doing okay but there's a lot of work to do.
我们现在的情况虽然还不错,但还是有很多要做的工作。
So what's the work left to do, what's left to fix?
都还有些什么工作呢?还有哪些问题?
Well, a big one, Canada has for generations if not centuries, broken its relationship and its partnership with indigenous peoples.
嗯,一个很大的问题就是我们打破和土著人民之间的伙伴关系已经有几代人之久了,即便不是几个世纪之久的话。
We ignored the fact that thousands upon thousands of indigenous women and girls went missing and murdered over the past few decades,
我们忽视了过去几十年里,成千上万的土著妇女和女孩失踪或被谋杀的事实,
and we need to reengage with that responsibly.
我们需要负责任地重新面对这一问题。
We need to look at the fact that a kid who grows up in an indigenous community doesn't have the same access to education or positive outcomes that any kids born anywhere else in the country have.
我们需要正视在土著社区长大的孩子享受不到和其他任何地方长大的孩子同等的教育机会和其他积极的社会成果这一事实。
So there's a lot of work to do on that.
这方面还有很多工作要做。
There's more work to do even on feminism.
女性主义方面要做的工作更多。
A lot of people are talking about how it's 2016 and we're doing well, and there are good things that we've done,
很多人都在谈论2016年我们做得如何如何好,我们是做了一些好事,
but we're still way down on the list of countries in terms of pay equity.
但在薪酬公平方面,我们在全世界的排名还是比较靠后的。
Canada is worse than a lot of other countries, including ones we wouldn't suspect we would be worse than, on are women paid as much as men.
在女性和男性是否同工同酬的问题上,加拿大做得比很多国家都差,其中有一些国家是我们万万没想到会超过我们的。
So, I mean, there's a lot of work still to do.
所以,我的意思是,我们要做的工作真的还有很多。
Thank you guys, I've got a really good job right now in Canada.
谢谢你们,我现在在加拿大的工作挺好的。
When has running away from our problems really solved anything?
逃避什么时候真的能解决问题了?
Maybe instead of running away to Canada, we can learn something from it.
也许,与其逃到加拿大,我们更应该从加拿大身上学习。
What did you drop?
你掉东西了?
Do you known feminist Ryan Gosling, the meme?
你知道女权主义者瑞恩·高斯林那个表情包吗?
Yes. I'd seen a little bit of that. Yeah.
知道。看过一点点。嗯。
There's a study that shows that when men were exposed to the meme, they were more likely to identify with feminist beliefs.
有一项研究表明,男性接触到这个表情包以后很有可能认同女权主义信仰。
Would you be willing for us to use a photo of you and put the feminist meme?
你介意我们用你的照片做成女权主义表情包吗?
Absolutely. Absolutely.
请便。请便。
I have applications to apply for permanent residence in Canada. I couldn't do it.
我有申请永久移民加拿大的申请表。我不能那么做。
You couldn't do it? I couldn't do it.
不能吗?不能。
What if it was 3 degrees warmer?
如果那边的气温再高三度呢?
I just know this girl from Canada and I hate her so much and so she ruined the country for me. I'm not even kidding.
我认识一个加拿大的女孩儿,但我超级超级讨厌她,她彻底打消了我对这个国家的好感。真的。
If you can kick this one person from the country and grant me refugee status from Donald Trump,
如果你能把她弄走,然后颁发给我逃离特朗普的难民证的话,
I'm totally going to move to your country.
我绝对会移民到你的国家去的。
Where do I put my email?
我邮箱写哪儿?
Like your height, color of your eyes, it's like a tinder application.
比如你的身高,眼球的颜色,跟Tinder的表格差不多啦。
Does he get it? Yes.
他真的能收到吗?能。
How do I put like dating two people? Is that an option?
和两个男的约会我应该怎么写?可以这样吗?
Yeah. Just put like polyamorous or whatever you want to call that.
可以啊。你可以写多元之爱,爱怎么写怎么写。
Dating two men.
和两个男的约会。