"Let's go somewhere where we can talk," Uncle Jeff said,
“我们找个地方谈谈吧,”杰夫叔叔说,
leading us out of the psychology department and locking the door.
他把我们带出心理系,锁上门。
Jennifer walked behind him and I walked behind her.
詹妮弗跟在他后面,我跟在詹妮弗后面。
I didn't think she'd try to get away, but I didn't want to take any chances.
我认为她不会想逃跑,但我不想冒任何风险。
We walked outside and found two benches under some trees.
我们走到外面,发现树下有两条长凳。
Uncle Jeff sat down on one bench, and Jennifer and I sat on the other one facing him.
杰夫叔叔坐在一条长凳上,詹妮弗和我坐在另一条长凳上,面对着他。
"You know each other?" Uncle Jeff said, looking at me.
“你们认识吗?”杰夫叔叔看着我说。
"We met two days ago," I explained, "and we were supposed to meet for coffee last night."
“我们两天前见过,”我解释说,“昨天晚上我们约好一起喝咖啡。”
"I see," he said. He turned to Jennifer.
“我明白了,”他说。他转向詹妮弗。
"Why don't you tell me what you were doing in Dean Maurie's office?"
“你为什么不告诉我你在毛里院长的办公室里干什么?”
I couldn't see Jennifer's face. She was looking in the other direction,
我看不见詹妮弗的脸,她朝着另一个方向,
but I could feel that she was trying to make up her mind.
但我能感觉到她在努力下决心。
Finally, she turned to Uncle Jeff and said, "If I tell you, can you keep it a secret? And will you help me?"
最后,她转向杰夫叔叔说:“如果我告诉你,你能保守秘密吗?你愿意帮助我吗?”
Uncle Jeff said, "I can't make any promises until you tell me your story."
杰夫叔叔说:“在你说出你的故事之前,我不能做任何承诺。”
"I was looking for some photographs," she said.
“我在找一些照片,”她说。