But those are dots on a screen for you; what exactly does that mean?
但是那些你们看起来是屏幕上的点;到底有什么意义呢?
Well basically that means that this protein is changing from the sensitive cell to the resistant cell.
基本上,这意味着这种蛋白在改变,从敏感细胞变为抵抗性细胞。
And in fact, it might be changing the cells themselves to make the cells resistant.
实际上,可能是细胞自身在改变,让细胞自己变得具有抵抗性。
And that's huge. In fact, it means that if a patient comes in and they're resistant to this drug,
巨大的(抵抗力)。实际上,这意味着如果病人来,他们对这种药产生抗药性,
then if we give them a chemical to block this protein, then we can treat them again with the same drug.
如果我们给他们这种化学物质来阻止这种蛋白,那么我们又可以用同样的药重新治疗他们。
And that's huge for chemotherapy effectiveness -- possibly for many different types of cancer.
对于化疗的有效性来说这是巨大的改变--很可能对多种不同的癌症有效。
So that was my work, and it was my way of reimagining the future for future research,
这就是我的工作,这就是我对未来的畅想,对未来研究的畅想,
with figuring out exactly what this protein does, but also for the future of chemotherapy effectiveness
要弄清楚这种蛋白到底是什么,同时也是化疗有效性的未来
-- so maybe all grandfathers with cancer have a little bit more time to spend with their grandchildren.
-- 或许所有患有癌症的爷爷都能有更多的时间跟他们的孙子辈们在一起。
But my work wasn't just about the research. It was about finding my passion.
但是,我的工作并不仅仅是研究,还包括寻找我的梦想所在。
That's why being the grand prize winner of the Google Global Science Fair -- cute picture, right
那就是为什么成为谷歌科技展大奖的得主--很漂亮的照片,是吧
-- it was so exciting to me and it was such an amazing honor.
-- 对于我来说是无比的兴奋,无比的荣耀。
And ever since then, I've gotten to do some pretty cool stuff
从那以后,我能开始做很多很酷的东西。
-- from getting to meet the president to getting to be on this stage to talk to all of you guys.
--从能够见到总统到能站在这个演讲台上跟大家讲话。
But like I said, my journey wasn't just about the research,
但是就像我说过的,我的旅行并不仅仅是关于研究,
it was about finding my passion,
也是关于我的梦想,
and it was about making my own opportunities when I didn't even know what I was doing.
当我都还不知道我在做什么的时候,我如何制造机会。
It was about inspiration and determination and never giving up on my interest for science and learning and growing.
这就是灵感和决心以及从不放弃我对自然科学,学习,以及成长的兴趣。
After all, my story begins with a dried, withered spinach plant and it's only getting better from there.
不管怎样,我的故事始于一颗干枯的,凋萎的菠菜,从那以后就开始变得越来越好。
Thank you.
谢谢大家。