"But she gave me her keys to the psychology department and to the dean's office.
“但她把心理系和院长办公室的钥匙给了我,
I want to have a look around."
我想四处看看。”
"Tonight?" I asked.
“今晚吗?”我问。
"Tonight," he said.
“是的,今晚,”杰夫叔叔说。
At 9:30, we arrived at the university. Both Uncle Jeff and I were dressed in dark clothes.
九点半,我们到了学校。杰夫叔叔和我都穿着深色衣服。
Technically, we weren't breaking in. We weren't committing a crime.
严格意义上说,我们没有闯入。我们不属于犯罪。
We had Clara Dunn's permission and her keys to enter the building.
我们在克拉拉·邓恩的许可之下拿着她的钥匙进了大楼。
But we didn't have the police's permission to go into the dean's office.
但是我们没有得到警察的许可就进入了院长办公室。
Uncle Jeff told me that he didn't want me to go into the dean's office.
杰夫叔叔告诉我他不想让我去院长办公室。
He didn't want me to get into trouble.
他不想让我惹上麻烦。
We walked inside the building and toward the main doors of the psychology department.
我们进了大楼,朝心理系的大门走去。
No one else was around. Uncle Jeff opened the main doors and we stepped into the lobby.
周围没有别人。杰夫叔叔打开大门,我们走进大厅。
We began to walk down the hallway toward the dean's office.
我们开始沿着走廊向院长办公室走去。
Suddenly, Uncle Jeff put out his arm to stop me.
突然,杰夫叔叔伸出手臂阻止我。
He pointed to the dean's office door.
他指着院长办公室的门。
There was police tape across the door, but someone had taken it down on one side.
门那边有警察用的胶带,但有人把胶带从一边取下来了。
The door was open a little. And the light was on. Uncle Jeff started walking slowly toward the door.
门开了一点,灯还亮着,杰夫叔叔慢慢地朝门走去。